Extension Cord Accessory?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by enggass, Nov 21, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I am running power with an extension cord to a heated water bowl. I was originally going to use Duct Tape at the connection for weather proofing. Although the connection will be under a roof, wind could expose it to moisture from time to time. Problem is that if I Duct Tape the connection, I will have to remove the Duct tape when I want to remove the bowl for dumping. We all know how much fun removing Duct Tape can be:) So my question is, is there any kind of Weatherproof Connection Accessory that I can buy that protects a connection? I did find this, but does anyone know of any others?
    http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/electrical.shtml

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Tofer76

Tofer76 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    Quote:why not dumpinto a bucket then you wouldnt have to disconnect it

3. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    ...and there's that... [​IMG]

4. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    it is best that you just leave it and not put and thing on it DO NOT PUT DUCK TAPE on it just make sure it is out of the way of puddles and keep it some what dry

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If you are going to use tape, use electrical tape. It comes off easily. It comes in 1 inch & 2 inch sizes.

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I am using a similar cover on my extension cords to my water heaters for my horses. I do not know how well they work yet as I just put them on yesterday. Mine came with a foam insert that you put between the cords. I do not have them on the ground though.

7. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    That Harbor Freight one is certainly priced attractively, but I don't see where it says it keeps out water?

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Want to keep out water. Use electrical tape as duct tape is water resistance but not proof. And keep the the connection off the ground, even if it means laying it on a a piece of wood or brick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by