Extension cords? Also, water heater?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gracejr, Sep 29, 2012.

1. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    How safe would it be to run an extension cord from a NON-GFI indoor outlet to the chicken coop, using it for a light on a timer and a water heater of some sort?

This is the cord I was considering, since I could plug both items into it, and it seems to be a decent rating for cold weather use. http://www.lowes.com/pd_68517-66906-UTP611830_0__?productId=3191747&Ntt=3+outlet+extension+cord

Alternatively, this cord, maybe with a splitter of some sort or something to plug two things into it? http://www.lowes.com/pd_67064-66906-UTP511730_0__?productId=3191725&Ntt=outdoor+extension+cord

Plenty of snow, cold weather, etc to consider. If I did use a cord, should I run it along the top of the fence to keep it out of the snow and away from curious critters who might chew it? Fence is a 6' high chain link, if that makes a difference one way or another.

I do want to get a permanent electric source hooked up eventually, but the way the yard is set up it isn't practical right now. Our septic system will likely have to be dug up in the spring, which is the same area where we'd have to be burying wire... I don't want to go through all the work of having someone hook it up, just to have to dig it all up and start over again in the spring.

On a related note... What is your favorite water heater for your birds? We have one of the large metal fountain type waterers, 14 chickens. I don't really want to be constantly hauling water out there, especially when expecting another kidlet come March/April.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You need a GFCI. Really. Saved my life once out there hooking up lights with metal wires all around...touched the metal wire to the halfway inserted plug and the circuit tripped.

The circuit trips also on some wet days for no explicable reason. GFCI!!! Electrician time!

3. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop

I do want to get the outlets switched over, it's just been a matter of time and money (and lack of urgent need compared to other repairs!). My step-father can do wiring, but finding free time when he can come do it (or at least help me figure out what on earth to do) is very difficult. I don't think even our kitchen outlet near the sink is a GFCI, though the bathroom is. :/ Right now the spouse's car needs replacing, so an electrician is out of the question.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    x2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by