Extension to run

remist17

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am getting 10 more birds in April. I have some questions I would like to see if anyone can help me with.
I have two coops and two runs. Run #1 is what is currently housing my 3 year old layers(qty 5) and 2 year old layers (qty 2). It has a coop of 6x8 with a run that is 12x14. It is currently housing 7 hens. Run #2 is currently empty with a 8x8 coop and a 12x8 run. I am getting 10 new chicks in and I am not sure which is the best run to put them in. I plan on extending the 12x8 run to 16x8. I’m limited on the width to 8 ft. The larger 12x14 run will be extended to 12x18.

When the chicks are larger, I am thinking to move the 5 old 3 year hens to the small run (#2) and move the chicks(grown) and the two 2 year olds to the #1 run.
Does all that make sense? Do you feel that 12 birds in a 6x8 coop and a 12X18 Run is ok?

Probably, if that 6x8 is all clear floor space....might get crowded in another winter like we're having now and they have to stay in the coop for extended periods.

I try to give my laying hens at least 4 sg ft of floor space per chicken. 6'x8'=48 sq ft. If you can hang your feeders, water, nests and roosting areas off the floor-it sounds like you will have enough space for happy healthy chickens.

what about taking the #2 pen and making the run longer? It will still be 8 feet wide but i could maybe go out to 20ft long. Would that be a better choice?

Any time you can give your chickens more space, the better. If you can extend their run, I would go ahead and do so.

Back
Top Bottom