exterior conditions of incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RockyToggRanch, Dec 17, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I've only done one hatch and I did it in the finished basement about mid summer. I had the brooder in the boiler room where it was a consistent 70 degrees. I'm setting up the bator on the main floor this time, since it's cooler downstairs now. I have a lot of activity planned through the holidays and even without that, my hubby is not into this whole thing and won't be careful around a bator. I had it set up above the laundry area which is slightly raised above the machines. My first 12 of 54 eggs arrived today and I was letting them come to room temp. I put in a load of jeans and it went off balance. I ran to pluck my tray of eggs off the counter. Now I wonder if the vibrations from a washer or any exterior movements, may alter the outcome of a hatch.

So I'm in search of a safe, consistently warm place to set this up. I have not placed the eggs inside yet as they are still coming to room temp. Would they be okay with the vibrations or should I move them somewhere else.

The upstairs is usually about 62 degrees. 3 empty bedrooms..kids moved out. (except for this week, it'll be full of people and 70 ish.

The boiler room is about 60 ish and pretty consistent. Also out of the way. Or I could set it on a chair next to the laundry setup where it wouldn't get so much vibration.
    I really thought I was prepared this time. The bators been on for 2 days now waiting for occupants.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Vibrations during hatching aren't real good for them. Go ahead and set it up in the broiler room, just make sure your incubator is able to hold a steady temperature. You could also find an out of the way closet (one seldom used) and set it up in there. [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    We'll all hope for the very best for you!! I would put them in the boiler room if that is where they will be bothered the least. Seems to me the biggest problems with incubators is PEOPLE!! At least until after the holidays. Then maybe you could bring them upstairs into an empty bedroom. [​IMG]

4. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I heat with a wood stove most of the time. So closets are chilly. I do put the furnace on when we are both working days, but that's rare. The boiler stills runs for water, so it's never real cold, but some days will run for heat as well, so it may be warmer outside the bator.

I am so building a bator room in the barn! It's officially on my list..right after the outdoor boiler that will heat everything.

If only I could wrap up in a blanket with my eggs for 3 weeks and only leave to pee and eat. I may have been a hen in my last life.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    [​IMG]

What I do ('cause I live in a trailer house with no central heat & air) is put the incubator in a spare bathroom and run a space heater to keep the temperature up around 65-70 degrees. Keep the door closed and tell everyone to stay out of it. [​IMG] It works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by