exterior door

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
I will be starting to renovate my walk-in hen house with in the next couple of days! I ran across this old door that has a window which can be opened for ventilation (I placed it over existing door for photo). It will have to be completely rescreened with hardware cloth and new trim but I think it has potential! Of course the whole door jam will need to be reconstructed to fit. Besides not being able to fit a wheel barrel through the width opening, is there any other reason I should not use this door? Just making sure I’m not missing anything before I get my hopes up!

Please excuse the junk!!
19994821-CC04-454A-AC7B-17C259AF1E3B.jpeg
42C955BA-6EAE-47CF-8836-0DDF619F63A2.jpeg
1A2D5514-E267-4E42-89AA-624E2E025E6A.jpeg

No, I wouldn't use it, I'll give you my address and I will dispose of the door for you:lau
That's a great door, I've never seen one like that. I don't see any reason not to use it. I wonder if someone redid it and made the window to open? Now I have another project to look at making with an old door. I made a headboard with an old 6 panel door.

No, I wouldn't use it, I'll give you my address and I will dispose of the door for you:lau
That's a great door, I've never seen one like that. I don't see any reason not to use it. I wonder if someone redid it and made the window to open? Now I have another project to look at making with an old door. I made a headboard with an old 6 panel door.

Ha!! If you make a door similar I’d love to see it!! I bet it was a DIY, so fun. My next door project is a pew! I agree, I’ve come across many doors but never one with a window like this. Now I need to decide if I leave it chippy or strip it. Decisions decisions...

AND I thought we had the coolest door!:(

We found our door at a thrift store and it was green so BB got to paint it. With the windows NOT opening, a screen door was essential and has worked our great during the summer months.

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

My vote is chippy, but its your door.

Good call! I love chippy goodness. I think that’s what I’ll do for starters. Once I’m done with the siding and what not I will reevaluate and strip and paint if I need to. Thanks!

AND I thought we had the coolest door!:(

We found our door at a thrift store and it was green so BB got to paint it. With the windows NOT opening, a screen door was essential and has worked our great during the summer months

That’s adorable! I love the red (and your sign). Great find, it sounds like it works perfect. Being in Minnesota I kind of wanted an insulated door even though my coop is not going to be insulated. Not sure why! Would you believe it if I told you I got this door among a large stack of others for $5.. for the whole lot?! And I’ve already made $85 off of one of those doors. I love coming out ahead lol Did you make your screen door? My coop will have a walk in/storage area and I have an old screen door for the inside going into the girls. If that doesn’t work out for whatever reason I will be building a new one. I’ve been trying to think of back up plans for pretty much everything. Is that a rain barrel on the right hand side?

Yes, I built the screen door. Just a simple and easy frame with 1/2" hardware cloth stapled to the frame. We open the red door during the day and close it at night, unless it is very cold, which is relatively rare here.

Back
Top Bottom