Exterior nest box advice please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    The new coop is done to the point that the girls moved in today. YAY!!!

We get a lot of rain here and we are trying to figure out the best way to keep water from getting in through the edge where the hinge is.

The lid is sloped and is hinged to a piece of 2x2 which is attached to the exterior wall of the coop rather than directly to the coop wall itself.

There is about 8 inches of over hang on the the coop, but our concern is if the rain comes in at an angle and runs down the wall onto the nest box.

Any suggestions to protect the hinge join?

2. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Here's a picture of my small coop. There is a nice piece of flexible clear thick plastic, not sure what to call it, under the hinges. It starts flat on the side of the house and wraps over the nesting boxes, under the hinges. So far no leaks. The Amish made this coop and looks like they took extra care by putting this piece in place.

[​IMG]

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I've got an exterior nest box and love it--you will too! I only had a six inch overhang (on roof) before, now it is 16 inches, but I have never had an issue with water getting in. If it becomes an issue, a small plastic flap sounds like a great idea--you could use a slim piece of wood screwed over the top to batten it down, and have it come halfway down the lid.

4. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have an exterior nest box similar to the one in the pic. If you caulk the board the hinge is affixed to that should prevent water running behind it. I did have an issue with water getting in the box during some very hard rain. I installed weather stripping and have not had any further issue with water getting in and we have had over 3" of rain in the last week alone.

5. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    While I haven't built mine yet I was planning on using a bicycle inner tube (cut in half to make a strip of rubber) as a cover over the joint. I intend to using small nails and glue and nail the rubber between the coop and a 1/4ich strip of wood. Just let it hang over the nesting box lid.
    Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by