Exterior Room Temperature...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Dec 8, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What does the exterior room temp need to be where my Incubator will be located? Or does that matter as long as the temp inside the Incubator is correct?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I dont think it matters as long as the incubator temp is stable. Probably best to choose somewhere where the temp stays constant as sudden changes in the room temp can affect the incubator [​IMG][​IMG]

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    It is more the humidity in the room that effects it. I have my incubator on my enclosed, but not heated porch. It gets mighty chilly out there, but the temp stays perfectly stable. Now, as for the humidity, we have to add more water in the winter than in the summer to get it to where it needs to be from being out there.

Having it in the actual house would be nice for us, but not really feasible, as it is very large!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

The colder the room air the more moisture it pulls from the eggs as it exchanges air with the incubator. An then changes in temp will effect inside temp.

5. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:So in this case, what exactly should I keep a close eye on to control this?

My situation:
    I have to do this in my basement where the temp will be 60+/- and RH around 60 at that time of year(March - I usually control this with a dehumidifier)
    I'm worried that if I do it anywhere else in the house, my kids may tamper with it when I am at work. (4&6)

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

It really shouldn't matter much. You would candle an adjust inside humidity as usual. If you were incubating in a warm room them did it again in a cold room you would notice a change.

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:So in this case, what exactly should I keep a close eye on to control this?

My situation:
    I have to do this in my basement where the temp will be 60+/- and RH around 60 at that time of year(March - I usually control this with a dehumidifier)
    I'm worried that if I do it anywhere else in the house, my kids may tamper with it when I am at work. (4&6)

I keep my incubator in an unheated garage: winter time temp is around 38-40 degrees, summertime temp is around 95+ degrees. Hatch rate is generally 85% or better. As it has already been said the main issue is not the temp of the room but the humidity. Everything works better when the hatch takes place on or near a rainy day!

8. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Great then. If I am doing it at the end of the winter in my basement there is naturally moist air!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by