1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

External egg texture. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Benelli, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Greetings,
    I have an RIR about 8 months old who lays a very rough textured egg. It almost feels like it got rolled in sand or very gritty sand paper so to speak. When dry, the grit is slightly darker than the egg shell color. When wet, they're a rust or GA clay color, as we would say down here. Is this normal? The other two don't do this. The insides are just fine. It also tends to be more on the ends than in the middle of the shell. [​IMG]

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one or two that lay eggs like that too. I just thought it was a fact of life and nothing more. I am curious to see if there are some "eggsperts" out there to tell us why? [​IMG]

3. Benelli

Sep 18, 2009
    Glad to know it's not just me since I'm new to this. I'm sure if they were doing that at a production plant they'd throw them out since they're not "pretty" enough for the public so to speak. When you get something you've never seen before it makes you wonder.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  5. Benelli

Sep 18, 2009
    Thanks CMV. Now I'm wondering about all this stuff. Maybe it's because she's young then. I wonder if the hens going in and out would stress her out? They have three nesting boxes and refuse to use two of them. I'll walk by and see two of them in the box at once. The other stuff doesn't seem to apply. Good to know. I searched other threads before asking and nothing popped up right away. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by