External Pip -- BUT I AM WORRIED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ayschmidt, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ayschmidt

ayschmidt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Got home a few minutes ago to see the last egg in the incubator had finally pipped but it barely cracked the shell and it doesn't seem that it would get much air flow judging by the looks of it. Do I leave him be or do try to remove some of the shell from the hole? I don't want to open the incubator if I don't have to. Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! THANKS

2. flocknfoal

flocknfoal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    E. Washington
    I had two in my last batch that barley cracked like that - and I pondered the same thing. I decided not to open the incubator as I've come to the conclusion that the sudden drop in humidity is worse than whatever I'm doing to "help". I've also come to the conclusion that, in most cases (not all), if they can't hatch themselves out of the shell there is probably something wrong with them. Both of mine hatched on their own about 8 hours later and are doing just fine. :)

3. ayschmidt

Feb 20, 2014
    Thank you I will wait

4. flocknfoal

Nov 16, 2012
    E. Washington
    How is it going?

5. ayschmidt

Feb 20, 2014
    It took about 18 stressful hours but she hatched fine about 6:30 in the morning. I have 49 eggs due March 13th so I hope everything goes ok with those.

6. flocknfoal

Nov 16, 2012
    E. Washington
    Happy the she hatched out finally! Good luck with the rest!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by