External pip isn't in the right spot, lots of movement but no chirping yet...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AGraybeal, Mar 18, 2015.

1. AGraybeal

AGraybeal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    This is killing me. It's day 19 and I have an external pip but it is center mass of the egg and I'm sure the chick didn't get to it's air cell yet. Ive been sitting on my hands and that's what I should do but someone give me a little reassurance. There is nothing I can do but wait right???

2. CountryMousette

CountryMousette Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    How long since baby piped?

3. AGraybeal

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    I noticed it a little over an hour again. The egg has been active the past couple hours. The pip is down low on the egg so it was hard to spot

4. CountryMousette

Feb 19, 2015
    For what its worth, give baby time. I had 3 central pips and waited over 18hrs before doing anything. I know its hard but the reward is Sooo gratifying!

1 person likes this.
  5. AGraybeal

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    I'm just afraid because they haven't pipped the air cell. Should I worry about the breathing????

6. CountryMousette

Feb 19, 2015
    Any chirping at all?
    and did baby pip through the membranes? because if they did, then they can get air, but ideally you'd hear chirping.

7. AGraybeal

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    None :/ I'm getting worried. I don't think it's through the membrane either.

8. CountryMousette

Feb 19, 2015
    If its not through the membranes then its still breathing via the membranes. Rest easy! She pipped but isnt quite ready yet. I'd hold off, give her some hours, and then listen for chirps and I bet you'll hear her. *hugs* I wish I was there, I justtttttttt went through this in the past 24hrs!!

9. AGraybeal

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    Ok thank you. That's exactly what I need is a hug. These babies are making me worry like crazy already lol

10. AGraybeal

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    [​IMG]
    It's hard to see but there is the pip. It's my first hatch so I'm not 100% about the membrane but I don't think she is from how the pip looks. She's still wiggling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by