Externall pipping 30 hours ago- no zipping yet-any advice welcome!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pamelajy15, Nov 13, 2013.

1. pamelajy15

pamelajy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    I have some eggs hatching...it is an elementary attempt. The first chick hatched with no problem and is doing fine. Two chicks hatched and I lost both of them...They pipped 6 hours after the first chick and hatched the next morning. They were weak, wet, never strong enough to stand on their own. temp is just below 100. I supplemented with electrolytes in water to them and they did get stronger for the day but I lost them in the end.

One egg began an external pip 30 hours ago. Strong tapping and peeping. Pip is open about 1/2" starting to dry around the edges. Chick is getting weaker...trying to leave her alone. Misting the shell when I check on it. Any thoughts on when I should assist? I do not want to lose this one.

Incubator is a closet, heated. Temps are good. I'm in Florida, humidity is ever present. Chicks are mixed breed...Roo was a buff Orp...This chick, from a Jersey Giant hen.

Lost my sweet Roo to a Barred Owl three weeks ago and in my sadness, set some of his eggs...what a learning curve.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would not mist egg remember the wet chicks? they need to take time to hatch, they don't instant hatch. they poke a hole in the egg then rest get used to our air and then they will come out. she has air if she poked a hole I would leave her be. if you hatch again, and you have home made incubator try dry hatching. I live in a desert and dry hatch the chicks come out nice and moist on their own. read up on it and see what you think.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    some times if I lose a roo I go to the fridge and grab some eggs- my last batch was stagered because I gave away a frizzle roo. I have 2, 2 week olds, one is a frizzle roo, one is a suprise chick from a roo I didn't think was breeding, he was a white leghorn/EE mix, so that chick is ee/silky/cochin/leghorn. then 2 in bator in their air cells.

4. pamelajy15

Mar 18, 2013
    Thank you for your reply. I will check out dry hatching. It seems I will lose this last one too. Still have one strong chick 3 days old now. It is confused about being alone after peeping with the last three chicks. After researching here, I think I have lost them to some kind of yoke infection. I sterilized and moved the single chick to a small brooder box. It's not showing any problems, but now I'm worried...I am thinking I will have to raise a "house chicken" until she's old enough and big enough to handle the rest of the girls. Hopefully she won't think she's a dog. lol
    Thanks again for the advice.

5. bhaugh

bhaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    I had a chick do what yours did (pip then not zip). I ended up helping her out of the shell and realized once she got out, had lost her egg tooth. She would have never gotten out on her own. I just placed her and the other two chicks who pipped and zipped fine on their own. She is a bit of a scrapper and at 2 weeks old, I'm glad I helped her out. I worried about it while I was chipping away at the shell but I figured she was dead if I didn't help her out, so I did it.

Sorry your other two passed on.

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    I had a single chick last winter, I had a mirror for him and a stuffed animal. at night, I would let him sleep with a broody in a box. eventually he was old enough to go outside with the mom in a heated cage. good luck with your chick.

7. pamelajy15

Mar 18, 2013
    Fate is leaving me a lone chick to raise...she is in a heated box...has 3 mirrors...music during the day while humans work...moved her into the house to be around activity...husband says she'll have to sleep on my side of the bed...

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have used a heating pad at night- helps them to sleep in the dark so they don't PEEP_PEEP_PEEP! My little one is now with 2 chicks a couple of weeks older all is well.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by