Extra bloom, sticky or dirty eggs from one hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Jan 23, 2011.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have a CM that I notice always lays a dirty egg. My nest boxes are super clean and all the other girls lay "clean" eggs. Dottie's are always covered in wood shavings and some poop! I have to scrub them pretty sternly under running hot water. What gives? I am thinking hers must be super sticky when laid and a little poop squeakes out, too? Anyone else?

Thanks!

2. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    I think that happens sometimes. I had four hens who always laid about the same time of day. 1 egg was always extra "sticky" from thebloom. I would always have to pick the shavings from the bedding off of the egg that got stuck as it dried. As far as the poop, that was not an issue. But I guess it is possible that some can slip out when the egg comes out.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I also have one hen that lays slightly poopy eggs. If I catch it while it's not quite dry, I take a handful of wood shavings from the floor and "sand" off the dirty egg before taking into the house. This way I don't remove the bloom that came with the egg.

4. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by