Extra chick starter and older chicks!?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SIMPleChick, May 14, 2011.

1. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I have 3 more little chicks that don't eat as much as 9 did! LOL But I still have 25 pounds of chick starter.....it is partially medicated, is it ok to still feed to my 12 week olds to finish it off along with their older girl feed? Will the food save for next year if I store it properly? Is it bad to have them eating that stuff when they start laying?? What should I do with the extra chick feed? Thanks for your help!!!
    Little Ninja is just waiting for your answer!
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sure. I would absolutely feed it and be done with it. The small amount of cocci blocker that is in there won't hurt a thing. Use it up before they begin laying. I'd not feed it to a laying hen, but anything younger than 18 weeks, feed it.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What Fred said.

Also, medicated feed needs to be continued until the chicks have been on the ground for at least 3 weeks. Having the thiamine blocker Amprolium fed only whilst chicks are not exposed to the cocci does no good to the chick. They have to be exposed to the cocci to develop resistance to it.

4. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Awesome, thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by