Extra chicks in IDEAL shipment

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by medtec113, Jan 24, 2011.

1. medtec113

medtec113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2010
    Alabama
    Last year when I ordered my chicks from IDEAL I recieved extra chickens for warmth. They were all Black Australorp roos. This year I assumed they would be the same and when they arrived, they were all yellow/gold like buff orphintons look. Does anybody know what flavor chicks IDEAL is using recently for shipment warmth? just curious

2. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    They use what ever they have extra of. One shipment could be orphintons and the next order could be EE's. Just depends [​IMG]

3. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    When hatcheries send "packing peanuts," those extra chicks, there is no guarantee what breed of chicken they will be. Basically, they send whatever breed they have the most extras of at the time. [​IMG] Surprises, surprises. [​IMG]

4. medtec113

medtec113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2010
    Alabama
    thanks. I was just wondering if anyone else recieved the same things in the last week and had identified them.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, as said it is anything they have extra of. Murray McMurray does the same, except theirs is claimed an "exotic rare chick" . . . Usually an Easter Egger cockerel.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    I got 11 RIR roos in December. [​IMG]

8. silverfern

silverfern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    what does it mean by for "comfort" ? *i mean "warmth"

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  9. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Quote:I am awaiting a McMurray order next week. I sure hope it is an EE roo. I am scared silly they will send me one of those vulture-looking Turkens. The weather in my hen house would freeze dry the bare-necked little dinosaur. I like feathered birds. I hope you're right...an EE would be fine with me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by