1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Extra chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Easter eggers, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    My question is if I'm ordering from Meyer hatchery in Ohio and I live in Arizona will they send me an extra chick and if so what sex. I ordered 3 welsummer pullets, 1 welsummer cockerel and 3 anconas.

2. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    If they are going to send you any extra chicks, they will probably be male. I ordered from Ideal and they always send "packing peanuts" with small orders.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I always buy my hatchery chicks from Meyer, because I can drive there. Why don't you give them a call and ask. They have great customer service.

Sharon

4. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    I LOVE meyer but that is an awful long way to mail chicks! Isnt there a hatchery closer to you?

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I have never ordered chicks before but from what I've heard and what makes sense, almost all "packing peanut" chicks will be male. Hatcheries are always overrun with rooster chicks. Sending them as extras to keep the others warm is much more humane than other forms of disposal some of them will use. Should I ever get a lot of packing peanut roosters I would just grow them out and eat them. :d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by