1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Extra Egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cehasz, Aug 4, 2014.

1. cehasz

cehasz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    So...I had an extra egg this morning. My Sebright Bantam has been a daily layer for about 2 weeks now. This morning, I had an extra egg that is the same size as hers, but in a different nest box (She will only use the one). She is the only female bantam I have, the others are sex-links. Will sex-links lay smaller eggs at first or did my girl possibly lay two eggs today? Another possibility is that she hasn't been the one laying (I haven't actually seen who is laying but she is older by one month than all the others and they just
    and they will be 6 months in a couple weeks).

[​IMG]
    This is the egg found in the normal nesting box. I get one of these daily.

[​IMG]
    Here are the two next to each other. The one on the left was found in the other nesting box and has the same white spots on it that the first egg we got had.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The first eggs a bird lays will be smaller than the "normal" egg size one would expect of that particular breed - this is an egg from a second bird. Congrats, you now have two active laying birds!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. cehasz

cehasz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    And we were just talking about how the other's needed to start earning their keep! It's amazing how excited you get with each new layer!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Absolutely - it's like Christmas morning as a kid

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by