Extra-large BR cockerel size relative to pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allpeepedout, Mar 17, 2011.

1. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have a young BR cockerel (from pullet bin) who started out as runt but at age 3.5 weeks he seems huge, standing 1-2 inches taller and probably 25-30% heavier than BR pullets. Is this typical? Would size be an asset for a rooster candidate, e.g., might I have an exceptionally "nice" BR rooster (not just for stewing) or is this just normal and average sex difference?

I may need to re-home and seek some reason to be optimistic that someone might want him. He is very personable lap chicken, so far. I also have smaller EE pullets and wonder if his size will be an issue for them.

Thanks for any tips. New to chick raising.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you think he's bigger now, just wait 'til he's mature and goes through the "change"!!! Yes, a rooster is huge compared to the hens.

3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Oh dear. And so I ask, the bigger, the better? Do strong, early male characteristics set apart better "sires"?

Why do many of these threads show much older birds that can't be sex-differentiated by size alone? Is it just the small boys who show up here? Should a "good" roo be much bigger than hens or is it a minus in terms of wear-tear(!!!) on hens? (Sorry - Maybe this question belongs in the breeding category.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by