EXTRA large Eggs in bator - Day 13 - Super growth

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieZ, Aug 24, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I've read it. Do not put large eggs into a bator because the chick can be larger then the size of his shell. Did I listen? No! But in my defense ... [​IMG] .... My Dixie Rainbows lay only extra large eggs. There's no in between with them. It's extra large or not at all. With them being a dual purpose bird, I am going to attempt to have meat chickens. That's the reasoning behind bator-ing them.

There's 13 of these super sized eggs in the bator. All are thriving perfectly. Heart beat, movement, veins, ability to make out a beak, etc. It's ONLY day 13 BUT they have body development as if going into lock down. One of the eggs has maybe a 1/3 of the egg left for development while another has about an 1/8.

BYC folks ... do I have a problem? What can I expect? Early death or early hatch?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Between now and day 18 (I know that's only 5 days) you can do a dry hatch and keep the humidity between 25% and 30%. Then up it to 65% at lockdown.

During the next 5 days you can make some wiggle room for them by helping them loose a little moisture.. then up it at lockdown so that they can zip.

So show us some pics of these "Dixie Rainbows"..... never heard of them.

3. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Quote:I have another incubator I will place them in. They are sharing space with black/red sex link eggs. This will not cause for stunt growth or it's all a guessing game of what will happen & this is possibly the best chance for them?

I will get those photographs when the sun comes up. [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looking forward to the photos... If those were my jumbo eggs... that's what I'd do... I learned the blessings of a 'dry hatch' from KathyinMo and Germaine. They rock.

5. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Agree with you. You would better not put large eggs into a bator.

6. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    many times you run the risk of trying to hatch double yolkers... it's been done, but it's rare and they have to be helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by