Extra light for the girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by j-me, Nov 4, 2009.

1. j-me

j-me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    West Michigan
    wondering what watt do you use?
    How long do you put on for?

I have 4 ops and 4slw and am only getting 1 egg a day and they are
    27 weeks old.
    I live in West Michigan and they have a run and coop. My friend has 10 isa's and is
    getting 9 a day.
    We have the same sun ... why are not minelaying

Jamie

2. captainmoose

captainmoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    SE PA
    I use a 40watt bulb that comes on at 4:00 AM My SLW's started laying at 21 weeks. They could start laying anytime now.

3. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I use red lamps that were primarily installed for heat on cold nights. I have white light going in, but have not reached that stage yet. My lights are on a timer and the come on an hour before dark and go off around 9 pm for now. I have eight layers (and 36 future layers) and I have gone from 8 eggs/day to 7 recently. I have one hen, that is my organic incubator, that went broody this past weekend. I do not think she has started laying again yet. At least she is not still sitting in her eggs.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Jamie, the story is that they only need as much light as necessary to read the newspaper . . .

Most chickens don't have an interest in reading the newspaper . . . the best things for them to be able to see are their feed and water. Of course, the size of your coop and the distance between the light and these items of interest are important.

Probably the darkest area should be your nestboxes. Too much light anywhere may encourage bad behavior - pecking at each other or at the eggs, that sort of thing. They don't need a lot of light but probably about what you'd be comfortable with in your living room.

Steve

edited to say, Those same poultry experts who read their newspapers in chicken coops say that an optimum amount of light for laying is 14 hours each day. They also say that anything over 17 hours is excessive.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by