Extra noisy chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ausash, May 10, 2009.

1. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I have been hatching chicks for years now and have never had chicks that were as noisy as these ones. They were just born on Friday and they chirp all day long. There are two of them and they are blue/splash jersey giants. It is plenty warm in there, they have feed and water and even a little towel to curl up in. My daughter has tried playing music for them and is currently reading them a bedtime story but hey they still chirp and keep it up most of the night. Is there anything else that we could try to get them to quiet down a little bit or is this breed just especially noisy? I usually keep them inside for the first several weeks in a large dog crate turned brooder and would hate to have to move them out to the broody coop at this early stage unless absolutely necessary, since only two hatched I have thought of getting a couple of extras from the feed store to keep them company, would that help a little? Any ideas would be welcomed and tried.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I find very small groups do tend to be a bit more noisy - almost like they're looking for more company. [​IMG] It could also be a complaint of sorts. Make sure the brooder temp is appropriate (not too hot or too cool) and that the water is tepid and food is fresh and easily accessible. If you know all is well, you may just have to tolerate the cheepers until they settle in.

3. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    There was 1 time where outta 4 eggs only 1 hatched & boy was my little chick LOUD! [​IMG] I gave the loud little chicky a stuffed animal to snuggle up with and all was fine. It was just lonely and it thought the stuffed animal was its mama!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by