1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Extra precautions for keeping raccoons OUT!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blondietwostep, Mar 3, 2013.

1. blondietwostep

blondietwostep New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    My husband and I finally put together our coop yesterday and it is adorable. We placed it on top of a cement slab we already had in our backyard, not being used. It measures 68" X 68" and the coop is 66" X 43". My husband decided to drill down into the cement an anchor type bracket so predators cannot lift the coop. It will also save us from digging a trench around the coop to install the hardware cloth down a foot. ALAS, I won't have to do this!! I am middle aged and want this project to be as simple as possible as well as protective enough. We will also drill holes in the cement for any drainage after washing. I will place 19 gauge hardware cloth around the entire coop and run, but I won't have to place it into the ground at all! I was starting to get discouraged from reading all about the raccoons and how very smart they are with chickens. I almost gave up the entire idea of having hens, eggs and a coop. It seemed too much hassle and work, just to make it safe from predators. WE have raccoons, possums, owls, skunks and a red tail hawk living in a nearby tree. I will not get my hens until I am positive I have protected them enough from their enemies. Let's hope this cement idea works, I am sure it will!

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Sounds like you've done a good job. Hardware cloth is what we used for our coop and run. We've had no problems with predators and we have a lot of raccoons in our area.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    That sounds like a really good plan, and also [​IMG]

4. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    We build on an existing concrete pad for the same reason. We put sand on the concrete to protect their feet and so far love it. Enjoy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by