Extra Roosters.......please help :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by supersilkie, Aug 15, 2010.

1. supersilkie

supersilkie New Egg

Aug 9, 2010
    Live Oak
    Ok, so I ordered about 25 silkies from cackle hathery this past spring. When the birds were young, a coon got in and killed many of them, resulting in only 11 of the original 25. [​IMG] 7 of these 11 are roosters and only 4 are hens. I can't keep these roosters and need some advice as to what to do with them. I have had them advertised both by ads in a paper and by putting up flyers at my feedstore. They have been advertised for weeks! [​IMG] But nobody wants them and my family won't eat silkies because of their skin and meat. I have tried to sell them so they would live a good long life, but because they are roosters.......its sad, but I just can't keep them. Any ideas as to what I should do? I would normally eat my extra roosters, but [​IMG]

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

You might try a Craig's List ad. Silkie's are considered a delicacy in some cultures.

Quoted from Wikipedia
    In cuisine
    The black meat of a Silkie is generally considered an unusual or unpalatable attribute in European and American cuisines.[17] In contrast, several Asian cuisines consider Silkie meat a gourmet food. Chinese cuisine especially values the breed, but it is also a common ingredient in some Japanese, Cambodian, Vietnamese and Korean dishes. Areas where Chinese cuisine has been a strong influence, such as Malaysia, may also cook Silkie. As early as the 7th century, traditional Chinese medicine has held that chicken soup made with Silkie meat is a curative food.[18] The usual methods of cooking include using Silkie to make broth, braising, and in curries. Traditional Chinese soup made with Silkie also uses ingredients such as wolfberries, Dioscorea opposita (white yam), orange peel, and fresh ginger.[19] A few fusion restaurants in metropolitan areas of the West have also cooked it as a part of traditional American or French cuisine, such as in confit​

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Is there any kind of poultry or livestock auctions near you? I take my extra roos to an auction and they all sell that way. What you can't do is guarantee what happens to them. You just have to hope for the best.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Do you live in the city? Is that why you can not keep them all?
    Do you have any poultry friends that would consider taking them?

5. supersilkie

supersilkie New Egg

Aug 9, 2010
    Live Oak
    No I don't live in the city. However, I think the auction idea was great and I will try to find one near me(I think there is one pretty close by, but I will have to check) Craigslist was a great idea too. Thanks everybody and if anyone else has an idea, feel free to share it [​IMG]

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I take my extras to the Sale Barn and hope for the best... if the buyer seems aproachable I talk to them... my silkie roos have gone to a petting zoo and a recreation farm... my silkie roos have been handled since chick-hood and seemed to have sweet temperments that made them well suited to this... maybe a donation to the local zoo with petting area? Good luck!

7. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    go to the local butcher and ask him who processes poultry locally many times for 2 - 3 bucks a bird you drop em off and come back for dressed meat

8. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by