Extra Roosters

terricksa

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a problem, I have 4 roosters and want to get rid of 3 of them (want to try to keep 1) due to where we live we really shouldn't have them.

My problem is no one wants them, I have places free rooster ads and am getting no response. I am not sure what to do. Ideally I would like them to go to a farm, but it is getting to the point that I just need to get rid of them

Any advise. BTW, the are all 15-16 weeks of age.

If you want to try to turn them to chicken dinner, I posted a link in the Meat Bird Etc forum of a 15 week old SLW rooster that needed to go (mean and aggressive - I have a small child). We had him for dinner and he was beyond delicious.

If you've not killed anything before, yes, it is daunting, but there are threads in that forum too about that (the feelings of taking a life, guilt, etc).

They will not be like supermarket chicken - they will be firmer, smaller, and TONS more flavor. It also gives you more of an appreciation of the meat you consume, when you are the person responsible from chick to plate.

I placed an ad on Craig's List on Friday and Saturday a couple came and picked mine up. They were very nice and made it clear they would be eating them. But really, what was I going to do with 14 roosters? I had to get up the courage and just let them go. I hope you can find good homes for your roosters and just don't ask if they will be dinner. Or ask a friend to come over to talk with the people that pick them up.

Craig's List.... I was going to do that but ended up finding homes for 3 of mine... the 4th might get to stay or he might be pot pie...

They may end up being dinner but I need to convince the wife and kids or at least make sure they are not around.

Anyone have a link to instructions to culling and dressing the birds if it comes down to this.

Quote:
Both of these get a Graphic Warning, obviously.
Fantastic thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109583

My roo
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=378458

Back
Top Bottom