Extra silky roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kywest, Oct 18, 2011.

1. kywest

kywest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    central Ohio
    I'd like to get a few silky (or other bantam) chicks to raise as pets, but I see that all of the chicks are straight run. I can't keep roos due to neighbors. Is there a market for silky roos? I have culled roos before when I accidentally ended up with a few, but didn't find it pleasant (though, delicious...) and would rather not have to cull birds that I've worked hard to tame;-( How easy will they be to get rid of?

2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    It really depends on the show quality of the bird. They are known as one of the most popular 4-h birds (around here, anyways) due to their calm personalities and their strange appearance. Talk to your local 4-H extension office and you are sure to get them a good home, especially if you work on taming them.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My Pet Chicken will sex silkies and other bantams, however, it's certainly not fool proof. Or you could buy POL birds that are much more easily sexed.
    Many say that if you have an asian population in/near your area, that silkies are fairly easy to place, as their black bones are valued. Well bred silkie roos will be much easier to place than hatchery roos.

4. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    [​IMG] I know you dont want to cull but look how good they look on the counter.

[​IMG]

Its like any rooster. If you have a buying he will get a new home. You cant really give roosters away around here. I dont know how good hatchery breeds are. I show quality bird may be easier. You know its just so hit or miss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by