Extracting Gapeworm

RaeJean

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2015
My flock showing signs of gapeworm infestation, heading shaking, neck stretching, opening mouth, etc. I gave them each 1/2cc of Safeguard orally and 3cc per gallon in their water for the past 3 days. I’ve seen dead round worms in their feces so I know Safeguard is working. But at day 5 still shaking their heading, stretching neck, etc. If gapeworm is attached to the trachea area, does it detach when it dies or does the chicken cough it out? Should I assume they are still alive if chicks exhibiting signs of infestation? Really frustrating. Any info would be appreciated

Really frustrating. I've been following a gapeworm treatment regime found on this website which you indicate is incorrect. I really wish that people would refrain from posting information on this website that is incorrect. I am a novice at best and rely on the information posted by this community to help answer common questions. I guess I will buy more Safeguard and start the treatment regime all over. Should I withhold food before administering the Safeguard?

Really frustrating. I've been following a gapeworm treatment regime found on this website which you indicate is incorrect. I really wish that people would refrain from posting information on this website that is incorrect. I am a novice at best and rely on the information posted by this community to help answer common questions. I guess I will buy more Safeguard and start the treatment regime all over. Should I withhold food before administering the Safeguard?
It is not necessary to withhold food. In fact, squirting the dose into a small piece of bread and feeding the bread to the bird is about the easiest way to treat them.
Good luck.

Have you had fecals run? Maybe it's gapeworm, maybe not. Fenbendazole given as directed above will work, if that's what's wrong. The bird may still have some soreness and not feel normal immediately, even if this is the problem.
Mary

Really frustrating. I've been following a gapeworm treatment regime found on this website which you indicate is incorrect. I really wish that people would refrain from posting information on this website that is incorrect.

Unfortunately, that particular bit about putting Safeguard in the water being a correct way to use it is a very pervasive myth. Only the Aquasol Safeguard can be used that way, and it will run you $300 for a jug.

This is a bird that died soon after being 'wormed' that way with Safeguard. You can see all the worms it still had in the necropsy picture in the post. It is graphic, so be warned before you click through. That post also contains info from a vet, who did confirm that Safeguard used in that way both sinks to the bottom of the waterer where the birds don't really drink it, and also can bind to the minerals in the water, rendering it useless.

My flock showing signs of gapeworm infestation, heading shaking, neck stretching, opening mouth, etc. I gave them each 1/2cc of Safeguard orally and 3cc per gallon in their water for the past 3 days. I’ve seen dead round worms in their feces so I know Safeguard is working. But at day 5 still shaking their heading, stretching neck, etc. If gapeworm is attached to the trachea area, does it detach when it dies or does the chicken cough it out? Should I assume they are still alive if chicks exhibiting signs of infestation? Really frustrating. Any info would be appreciated
This is my first time treating gapeworm and I would like to know if easier way to administer Safeguard than with a syringe. I would also like to know if the chicks cough out the dead worms. Thanks in advance to any who respond.

For gapeworm, the treatment has to be given for five consecutive days - and using Safeguard in the water, unless it is the very expensive Aquasol kind, does not work.

You will want to dose your chickens orally for five days in a row, and the dosage is .23 mls per pound of body weight.

If I dose a small loaf of bread with Safeguard for five days, should that work? I have pullets and its difficult to catch them and keep track of who has been dosed! I have no doubt they will gobble up the bread.

Hi RaeJean. I ended up taking my Ameraucana to the vet today as she was getting worse. The vet confirmed gapeworms and then said my bird was so far gone it would not be worth the cost of trying to bring her back. Cost me $65 total but at least she is not suffering anymore. Vet told me to treat the rest of the flock with Safeguard at 1 cc per 10 lb bird for 7-14 days. Said withdraw time was 24 days before keeping any of the eggs. I have only 4 birds left so I am dosing them using sprouted bread cut in small cubes. I will follow her plan and make sure the threat of gapeworms is gone. I cleaned the wood shavings from the coop today and will do again in another month. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Back
Top Bottom