Extreme blood spot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Hi!
    This was a 'pullet egg' from one of my ducks.
    Yak, I almost cracked it right into a bowl of batter --- but cracked it separately to see if I could see a bullseye (it was fertile!).

[​IMG]

Extreme blood spot or something else?
    Thanks,
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    looks like it could be half incubated/rotten/broken hen (you know what i mean)

Or it could just be a freak egg and you won't get any more.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is nothing to worry about unless every egg your pullet lays is blood laden. Then she may have some internal issues in the egg laying factory.

I have seen a few like that over the years.

You can still use it if you want. Most eggs are heavy with blood spots - you just can't see them they are so tiny.

You can feed it to your animals if you have trouble using it yourself.

4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    If my eggs have a lot of tiny blood spots I cook them for the dogs & chickens.

Scrambled eggs have to be one of my chickens favorite things to eat! [​IMG]

5. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Mine are not that extreme. I was going to ask the same thing about mine. Only, mine has just one tiny speck usually but it is a gray/brown color. What could it be? I just remove it. However, I just think it's odd that I used 5 eggs the other day and they each had a tiny speck like that. It was in the egg whites not the yolk.

6. Hi! That one was fresh --- just laid that morning.
    I don't worry about small blood spots and I hardly ever see any at all except in my older Barred Rock hens eggs.
    That one was extreme to the point of 'Ewwww'! Must have just been a one-time thing because her egg yesterday was normal (but the dogs got it too. They get 5 or 6 scrambled most mornings).
    I wish I'd thought to candle it. I'm curious what it would have looked like so I'll recognize it if I see it again when candling other eggs.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It looks tie-dyed. If she shows up with dilated pupils singing "Hair", you'll know what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by