1. savvychickz

savvychickz Songster

Jan 25, 2019
    My chickens coop (I actually use my garage) is 24° which I feel is not ideal, there is quite a lot of chickens in there (60) will they be okay? I definitely don’t want to put heat lamps up. Also, my other 6 month old chicken ran off this morning which didn’t come back at night time. I know we have at least 5 in. of snow on the ground, with temperatures from 20-23° today. Tonight low is about 7°. Theres a lot of barns where she could be bunkered down, all filled with hay. Should I look for her in the morning? Or will she already be dead from the cold?

MRichmond and ValerieJ like this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Well, I guess extreme cold to you is just cold to others. My chickens went through -21F temps last winter without a problem.
    As long as your garage is ventilated, dry and the roosting area is protected from drafts, they'll be just fine.
    As for the escapee, if she can find a place in a similar setting she'll be fine as well. I'd be more concerned about her falling victim to predation than freezing to death.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  3. savvychickz

savvychickz Songster

Jan 25, 2019
    Yeah I definitely over exaggerated on the cold, I went and checked the barns she usually runs off to and found 20 eggs, I didn’t know she even started laying. No sign of her though which is sad because her eggs are a really pretty olive color.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How big is garage, in feet by feet?
    That's a lot of chickens....hope you have good ventilation.
    All the breathing and pooping from 60 birds is a lot of moist ammonia laden air,
    which is much more concerning than cold temps.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Also chickens produce lots and LOTS of dander so a garage isn't ideal as a Coop. Plus as aart mentioned they need ventilation too..:frow

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I was assuming there were no cars or other engines/fuel stored in there,
    that garage was now all coop.....but yeah, now I wonder.

7. savvychickz

savvychickz Songster

Jan 25, 2019
    It’s not a HUGE garage.. maybe like a large shed?, and no definitely not any engines or fuel. They have ventilation, also a lot of them aren’t fully grow. I have about 25ish layers and 25 a couple months away from laying, they are separated in different areas. So I guess not exactly 60. We always make sure it’s always remotely clean. Never smells, and I’ve never had one get sick before.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    One car garage?
    Got a tape measure ;)

Skippersnh likes this.
  9. savvychickz

savvychickz Songster

Jan 25, 2019
    Yeah, I’ll have to see what it is in the morning since it’s pretty late here. Sorry if I was confusing in my past responses, I can’t word stuff real well haha.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Take a bunch of pics while you are out there, showing roosts and ventilation.
    We can help you get ready for winter.

Would also help to know....
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!

upload_2019-11-14_6-51-40.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: