EXTREME EGG LAYING- an egg a day per chicken!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kjpuggles3, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kjpuggles3

kjpuggles3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Hi! My family is running a small (emphasis on small. nothing fancy just some produce and eggs to sell to local markets) My dad put me in charge of chickens and I'm taking my job seriously (besides, THEY ARE SOOO CUTE)

So what I want to know is how can I get the most eggs out of my hens?

Im trying to overwork them, but i just want to know if there is any supplement or vitamin which allows hens to lay more or higher quality eggs. Thanks! Good breed recommendations for the job are welcome as well, but note: i live in New England so it gets cold here [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Rhode Island Reds. Nuff said!

Also, get a book on Witchcraft and say some spells for the highest quality eggs. Beware! about 250 years ago up in Salem, they killed people for that....

3. kjpuggles3

kjpuggles3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    [​IMG] hahahaha very funny [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No chicken lays an egg everyday. None.

The top white egg layer is a Leghorn and a commercial strain of Leghorn would give you your best chance at 330 eggs per year. To accomplish that, you'll have to provide great feed, maintain 14 hours of daily lighting and likely have to have new pullets coming up each year, because you'd want to cull the birds at the two year mark.

The best of the brown egg layers is also primarily intended for the commercial industry, but is available for backyarders as well. The ISA Brown. It also is capable of laying well over 320 eggs its pullet year under the same conditions described as necessary above.

Just a click below those are many, many good breeds and great layers, such as the Australorp, Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links, certain production reds, Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds also can lay almost 300 eggs per year, but you'd have to be sure of the strain.

Best wishes on your endeavor. Hope this information was helpful.

5. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    Quote:LOL! But What I think he/she wants to know is if there is anything that can be done to the already present hens to make them produce more eggs. What I would suggest is just to make sure they have a good layer feed, have enough calcium (Egg shell or oyster shell does well) and are healthy and happy and not scared. What type of chickens do you have? If you wanted high production in eggs you should of chosen a breed accordingly.

6. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    Fred's Hens :

No chicken lays an egg everyday. None.

The top white egg layer is a Leghorn and a commercial strain of Leghorn would give you your best chance at 330 eggs per year. To accomplish that, you'll have to provide great feed, maintain 14 hours of daily lighting and likely have to have new pullets coming up each year, because you'd want to cull the birds at the two year mark.

The best of the brown egg layers is also primarily intended for the commercial industry, but is available for backyarders as well. The ISA Brown. It also is capable of laying well over 320 eggs its pullet year under the same conditions described as necessary above.

Just a click below those are many, many good breeds and great layers, such as the Australorp, Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links, certain production reds, Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds also can lay almost 300 eggs per year, but you'd have to be sure of the strain.

Best wishes on your endeavor. Hope this information was helpful.

Ive had a RSL for 3 months and it has layed every day lol ....love it​

7. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have an Easter egger that lays a green egg for me every day. She is young (March). She is the only EE I have & always lays them in the same spot. I feed her layer feed & oyster shells. I got rid of the other EE's as they were not kind to my silkies. She has such a unique personality & is kind to the silkies so I kept her.

8. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I have many freeloaders right now, can't seem to get to the bottom of why they are not laying [​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Ok, Ok we could have new pullet owner after new pullet owner post about how "my girl X has laid for me every day." Sure. That is pretty much what new layers do once they kick it in gear. But if your new pullet lays 365 eggs this year, and you can document it, you'd have a genuine poultry phenomena.

But that facts are the facts. Those new pullets won't keep it up. None of them do. Next fall, many of these same owners will be back on BYC complaining that their production has stopped. It stops because that is what they do. There is a reason the commercial folks choose the very select breeds/strains they do.

Again, there are great laying strains of lots of popular birds that will lay very well in their pullet year. But millions of dollars of genetic research goes into the commercial hens and millions, no billions of dollars are at stake. Under harsh and pushed conditions, these birds crank out their 300-330 eggs their pullet year and then are either culled or forced into molt and kept for another 290-300 egg laying year.

A backyard egg seller who wants solid production has many, many good breeds from which to choose. I just plead for folks to be realistic over the longer haul.

10. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    Fred's Hens :

Ok, Ok we could have new pullet owner after new pullet owner post about how "my girl X has laid for me every day." Sure. That is pretty much what new layers do once they kick it in gear. But if your new pullet lays 365 eggs this year, and you can document it, you'd have a genuine poultry phenomena.

But that facts are the facts. Those new pullets won't keep it up. None of them do. Next fall, many of these same owners will be back on BYC complaining that their production has stopped. It stops because that is what they do. There is a reason the commercial folks choose the very select breeds/strains they do.

Again, there are great laying strains of lots of popular birds that will lay very well in their pullet year. But millions of dollars of genetic research goes into the commercial hens and millions, no billions of dollars are at stake. Under harsh and pushed conditions, these birds crank out their 300-330 eggs their pullet year and then are either culled or forced into molt and kept for another 290-300 egg laying year.

A backyard egg seller who wants solid production has many, many good breeds from which to choose. I just plead for folks to be realistic over the longer haul.

My chickens have all layed an egg every day for 2 years​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by