1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Extreme Heat = air cooked eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chookychook, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Chookychook

Chookychook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I came across this in the newspaper this morning:

"If you want to know how hot it got during the bushfires, just ask Anne's chooks.

There are five of them and they live in a chicken coop about 20m from the family home in Buxton (one of the areas that got burnt out in the Australian bushfires).

The house burned down in the fires, but the coop, built by Anne's father survived, though the flames reached right up to the wire fence.

"Those five chooks kept laying", Anne told us, "but the really incredible thing is that, when we cracked open the eggs, they were hard. They'd cooked in their shells." [​IMG]

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

The conditions in which this happened were extreme (never seen here before) but I did not know this was possible. There have been some amazing stories of survival from these bushfires - it was kind of nice reading something to show the resilience of our favorite animals

2. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    never heard of that before! amazing![​IMG]

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Wow! And the hens weren't baked?!

4. jens hens

jens hens New Egg

May 22, 2012
    It was 105 in Tucson yesterday, and the whites of our eggs were cooked after sitting in the hen house all day. Anyone else experience this?

5. Danielle27

Danielle27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Tucson
    I'm in Tucson too. It's way too soon for 105 heat.. ugh.

My girls aren't laying yet, but it's good to know that I should get the eggs right away once they start(any day now!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by