Extreme Home Makeover... Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, May 16, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Am I the only one who sobs like a sap during Extreme Home Makeover?? [​IMG] I get the ugly cry going on, the lip quiver. I know what's going to happen; it's no mystery. Deserving people get new houses! Yet episode after episode I find myself dumbfounded at their good fortune.

The ironic thing is that half of the "bad houses" that get demolished are better than mine! We won't even discuss the new houses![​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

No you are not alone. All those families deserve it soooo much too!!!! We had one here locally that houses a sanctuary for abused and neglected large cats. They TOTALLY re-did the thing, including a learning center, and larger cages for the cats. They do awesome work!!!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never watched it [​IMG]

4. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I cry so hard at every single episode I watch, I've started limiting my viewing of the show...[​IMG]

The one with the marine who was an Irag veteran that lost his leg was the worse for me. I cried even after the show ended and sometimes when I think about it, I still get teary eyed!! [​IMG]

They do such great things and it really is so awesome to see these people have blessing showered upon them [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

Quote:No need to hide!!!! It is a feel good show, where they tear down and re-build homes for people with real, serious needs. Like a house that is falling down around them, the guy is a football coach yet recently diagnosed with ALS and their son is paralyzed from the waist down. So he no longer has employment.

In order for them to show up someone has to nominate them too. It isn't random.

6. debilorrah

Quote:The one I remember the MOST is Sweet Alice in the ghetto in LA. She was tutoring kids after school in her tiny house and cooking meals for hundreds of people in a tiny kitchen. They re-did her house with a classroom and a huge kitchen and TONS of food so she could continue to help kids keep away from gangs and feed the poor in the area. that was AWESOME!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:No need to hide!!!! It is a feel good show, where they tear down and re-build homes for people with real, serious needs. Like a house that is falling down around them, the guy is a football coach yet recently diagnosed with ALS and their son is paralyzed from the waist down. So he no longer has employment.

In order for them to show up someone has to nominate them too. It isn't random.

I know what it's about.

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Got one of those houses too.
    I always cry like a baby

9. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Well, Katy here it is in a nutshell. TV show cast travels on tour bus to the person's town, watching a horribly sad and moving video on the way. Said video could be something like "blind single mom has 7 kids who all help out and get good grades, but little Timmy is in a wheelchair and can't get around the house very well....and now they've discovered toxic mold and termites are eating the house... and the single mom babysits all of the neighborhood kids for free.... and they could really use a new house.

SO, said cast members show up and pretend to surprise the family unexpectedly, even though the family comes out of the house in 2 seconds flat with coats and makeup already on even though it's first thing in the morning (and they all happen to be fully mic'd of course). They all tour the house, and sure enough, it's horrible, and so Ty Bennington and his TV pals send the family to Disneyworld, who all act totally shocked even though all the families get sent to Disneyworld on almost every episode.

While family is having a blast and hanging out with Mickey and Cinderella, the cast and a new crew of hundreds of volunteers from town (who never cared before but now show up for the occasion) all come over and demolish the old horrible house. Typically here a video of the demolition is sent to the family in Disneyworld who seem again surprised at something that happens on every episode.

Now the discussion, planning and building of the new house begins. Various cast members come up with brilliant ideas like "Timmy likes racecars" so they build him a wonderful racecar bed which he will outgrow in a year. They all work together, and when it rains or something else happens to perturb them, they watch more inspiring video to remind them of how deserving this family really is, and they have a group hug and resume with more vigor and determination than ever.

Finally, although they fear they may not make their deadline of building a new house in one week (still not sure why it must be done in a week), they work it out and family comes home. A bus blocks the view to the new house, which always makes me wonder who was blocking their eyes when they arrived but before they were lined up behind the bus. They all get very excited, the whole now-caring neighborhood cheers, and the family yells "Move that Bus"! The bus moves, and the family nearly falls to the ground in awe of the new home that stands in place of their crappy one.

They run in to tour it, and editing is very careful to make sure they catch the family members getting emotional over the framed fingerprint of their kid, or the poem that Timmy wrote once that now sits in a special shrine room. Then they can get excited about all the absurdly wonderful fantasy-land rooms that were built with their own distinct personalities and/or disabilities in mind.

Usually by the end it's dark outside, and they roast marshmallows or sing at their new firepit along with with some special guest star who seemingly has nothing to do with anything, like Jessica Alba. But everyone is very, very moved.

The End.

PS: Don't take my sarcastic summary as offense to the wonderful families who genuinely deserve these new homes. As I originally posted, I cry like a baby every time because I feel so truly happy for them. But it kills me that I can be so set up every week and yet still get so surprised and emotional with each episode, lol.

Now, you'll need to watch it for yourself to really feel it![​IMG]

After writing all this, I just saw your post that you already know what it is about, but I am not letting all this go to waste!

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  10. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The one I remember the MOST is Sweet Alice in the ghetto in LA. She was tutoring kids after school in her tiny house and cooking meals for hundreds of people in a tiny kitchen. They re-did her house with a classroom and a huge kitchen and TONS of food so she could continue to help kids keep away from gangs and feed the poor in the area. that was AWESOME!

I do remember that one! I thought it was especially touching when they also went to everyone in neighborhood and handed out new bedding:D

Last edited: May 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by