Extreme Home Makeover

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Godsgrl, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I was watching this show the other day, and it got me to thinking. A little girl had contacted the show asking the crew to redo not her house, but the transplant wing of the hospital where she had spent so much time. So the staff agreed, and hired the Disney animation team to decorate the hospital. Meanwhile, they doubled back to the family's house, and demolished it. Then they built a bigger, better house.

Now no way do I believe the family actually didn't know, I'm sure they had to sign consent forms and contracts, etc. But take this at face value..If you hired a crew to build something for you-say a barn, or a playground for your kids, would you be mad if they demolished and rebuilt your house?

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    If it was BIGGER and BETTER and had a COOP nope [​IMG] Oh her paents knew. The little girl is the one that didnt.

3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

As long as they got all my belongings & my loved ones out, I really wouldn't mind....especially seeing the lovely homes they build! Seriously. I love our house, but this is not the only house I could love.

While they're at it, I'd also take a new horse barn/chicken coop combo!

4. Kelly G

Oops! Double post.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    That is an interesting view, Kelly and Ducklover. Because I would be furious! This is my house that I've lived in for 15 years, the longest I've lived anywhere in my life, and I don't want another house. Plus, if someone designed and built the house without consulting me, I'd be really upset. Guess I'm not a candidate for that show. Btw, my best friend and my dh both said they wouldn't mind at all if they came home to a new house. LOL

6. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    My view of that show...
    I think if people have problems that are not of their own doing ie: illness, injury, natural disaster, death resulting in more people living in a dwelling then ok help them out.
    I however do not believe it is actually helping when the people are in that position due to bad decisions that they have made.
    I stand firm in my belief that if any of the people getting a home makeover on that show are going to make it they have to have good money management skills to start with.

Problems cannot be solved IMO by throwing money at them.

That being said, the episode in question ... I have no doubt that the people knew they were getting a new house.

Please forgive me if I sounded as though I am judging people there. It is simply a belief that I have that money does not fix the deeper issues in life.

7. Kelly G

Quote:^ This is the entire premise of the show! ^

I can't recall any that didn't have something to do with one of the above....if they did, my father-in-law would have a brand spankin' new house from Disney.

He's in the shape he's in from a life of poor managing. It wouldn't make very interesting television.

8. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I do apologize if I offended.
    I am not saying that there are people out there that have gotten the makeovers simply by being the bad decision making kind of people.
    I do not watch every episode nor do I wish to.
    I know of people that have been nominated (not the good decision making kind).
    I have looked up information on the show and found out that many of the people that get the help end up losing the house because of making bad decisions. IE: spending the upkeep money, taking out loans on the house etc.
    I am sure there are many deserving families out there.

9. Kelly G

No, no! I'm not offended - I agree with you!

...and no matter WHAT was given to my father-in-law, it would end up the same. He seems almost incapable of making good decisions. It's his way, and he's happy in his own miserable way.

[​IMG]

10. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Quote:I would be too. There are the door facings that I measured my boys and marked their ages on every year. And there are the stains on the ceiling that can't be painted over from where the pressure cooker blew up. Lots of memories in every corner. Just scuffs and scars that make up the memories that make it home. It can't be improved on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by