1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

extreme lethargy then dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by columbiacritter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    No runny poop, no bad smell or respiratory symptoms. Just lethargic at first then steady decline all the while eating and drinking.

This was an 8 wks old Japanese pullet who died over a 5 day span now 2 more pullets who are a little over 3 months old are starting to show signs.

Any ideas on what to do?

2. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    The first thing I'd do is to isolate any birds that show outward symptoms. Make them as comfortable as possible and start vitamins/electrolytes in their water. Hopefully it won't spread to the rest of your flock. There's not much to go on but keep an eye out for other symptoms and let us know about any changes in their condition, good or bad.

Dan

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    It has spread, my husband just emailed me that a roo in a totally seperate flock is also showing the same symptoms. This is an adult bird! Now we're starting to panic!!

4. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Oh No! So sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

There was another recent thread by a lady in Iowa that is having a majority of her chickens die. Perhaps you should read through that thread and see if any of the symptoms are the same. I sure hope not though.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375915

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by