EXTREME MOLT just pre-winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seraphine, Oct 16, 2019.

1. seraphine

seraphine Hatching

Oct 16, 2019
    My 4 year old best easter egger is going through an extreme molt like I've never seen before. PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK and HOW TO HELP HER. Séraphine... I live in general Los Angeles area... never really cold here. In their fenced and topped (coyote/hawk proofing) coop area, they can sleep inside with a bedding and walls of hay however, they seem to want to sleep outside on top of their hutch.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    penny1960, SoftSilkie and slordaz like this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    A high protein feed is probably about all you can do (many companies make a food specifically for molt time "feather fixer" or similar), also make sure there is lots of fresh dry bedding in the coop for warmth. If the weather is nasty you can provide feed and water inside the coop instead of the run so she doesn't have to go out in the elements.

penny1960 and SoftSilkie like this.
  3. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    helps to know age of bird, yes with cooler temperatures they will start molting to grow new feathers, best thing I found to help mine going through a hard molt is added protein, why I keep mine on flock raiser as it's higher protein but they love their meal worm treats, tuna ,sardines are all good too as that molt takes more out of them faster. Mine usually do a softer molt but this year they all did a hard molt almost 3 years old

seraphine and penny1960 like this.
  4. SoftSilkie

SoftSilkie Crowing

Sep 4, 2019
    Idaho
    penny1960 and SueT like this.
  5. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC!
    Take a look at the chickens in the molting contest mentioned by @SoftSilkie in post#4.
    This is when molting happens. Mine are going thru the same. I don't know why it has to be in the fall when it gets cold, but they seem to survive it.
    She'll look really pretty when all the new feathers have grown in!

penny1960 and SoftSilkie like this.
  6. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens molt's on some they just want to hide
    others not so much

SoftSilkie likes this.
  7. BroodyMama2

BroodyMama2 Chirping

Mar 19, 2015
    It's hard to watch, huh. She'll be ok. Sometimes they molt worse than at other times. Make sure you're offering her more calcium (Oyster shell or whatever you use) because she's using quite a bit up to produce those new feather shafts. If she needs it, she'll eat it. If not, she won't.
    Try to not handle her much because the new feather shafts make the skin tender.

Btw, I have some Easter Eggers too and just love them. faithful layers, great foragers and quirky personalities. So fun.

SoftSilkie likes this.
  8. seraphine

seraphine Hatching

Oct 16, 2019
    I'm less panicked now.. THANK YOU ALL... I thought she was dying... now I don't... didn't know they molted going into winter... I free feed oyster shells... I've had a hard time getting them to eat any bought feed however, I've discovered the food they just love: dried meal worms, flaxseeds, chia seeds, popped corn (not so much), baby chick crumble, and absolutely any kind of oatmeal (I feed only organic because I eat almost all organic so I want my eggs organic... I don't buy tuna (because of their fishing methods and the mercury in their system) but will try sardines .... THANK YOU ALL

SoftSilkie likes this.
  9. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    If you stop feeding the treats, they will eat their bought feed. Treats dilute the nutrition they need to grow, lay, and make new feathers!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: