extreme pasty butt??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmatt87, Feb 12, 2013.

1. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]
    has anyone seen this before? Its the bum of my 2 wk old ancona chick. She's one of the 2 that seems to be stuck with pasty butt. I clean her daily, and it didn't look like this yesterday. I haven't seen any pecking in the brooder....there is a little acv and molasses in the water, clean shavings, unmedicated feed...they had greek yogurt once a few days ago...
    Its shiny due to some neosporin.

2. RubyRamona

RubyRamona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho
    I'm also curious about this. I'm brand new to chickens (literally got our chicks today) and I noticed one with pasty butt. When I cleaned her she also looked like yours. I thought maybe I wasn't gentle enough. But maybe not?!

3. queenb33

queenb33 New Egg

Apr 3, 2013
    MS
    I have a baby chick whose bottom looks like this too! The chick constantly chirps (WAY more than the other one who doesn't have this bottom). I constantly wash the bottom off and put Vaseline on it. I wish I knew what else to do to make it better!

4. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Make sure they're not too warm - can cause pasty butt... take them outside and get them some fresh air for a little bit each day.

Also, I know some people use preparation H on their chickens to help take down the swelling... might be worth a try?

Sounds like the original poster was already doing the other things I would suggest - acv in the water and a little plain yogurt for some probiotics. Olive oil on the bottom is also good.

5. alleyboballey

alleyboballey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    One of my girls had this!! She is 3 weeks older now and doing 100%. I think some poo dried on her fluff and when she tried to pick it off, she picked off some fluff too. I could be wrong, but I couldn't think of anything else.
    I don't think it's any bullying either because there's no blood.
    I used warm water and q-tips to clean her. Any dried poop that I couldn't get with a q-tip I gently pulled off with tweezers. After I would clean her I would use a q-tip and spread a layer of vaseline on her butt. I did that 2 probably 3 times a day. This was also done while holding her on her back so she wouldn't struggle to much and sometimes fall asleep!
    I hope your baby gets better! Mine is the most spunky of the bunch now! :celebrate
    And don't worry about her bare bottom, it grows back haha

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by