EXTREME PREDATOR MANAGEMENT MAKES FOR LITTLE WILDLIFE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Sep 30, 2012.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Recently I had opportunity to talk with co-workers coming from Tanzania (as in country in eastern Africa). Back home their families are small farmers with acreages that approximate mine (~ 20 acres). That seems to be enough for many to make a living although guys I met are from relatively well to do families with another job on side. They all indicated their farms where diversified in that on a given farm they produced a small number of livestock with a few acres of row crops in addition to free-range poultry. Then I asked about predators like leopards and jackals which to me would be rough equivalents to our bobcats and coyotes/foxes. I do not know what they might have that is similar our raccoon and opossum but suspect their hawks are very similar to our assemblage in North America. I asked how they deal with those predators going after their free-range birds and they indicated they have now such concerns. I asked them if dogs where used as guardians and answer was no. Dogs do not appear to be held in high esteem there, even less than by what appears to be the consensus among the modern backyard keepers of poultry. I then asked how they deal with such predators and answer was a quick “You have to go to parks to see predators, we kill all we find”. This I guess is more doable since entire landscape is taken up by the small little farms that likely provide no prey other than livestock and all the farmers hammer offending predators at every opportunity.

I was dissapointed to learn Tanzania is no longer a wild place in that wildlife has been largely exterminated. I like our system better where we have a mixture of wild places and “tamed” making for a more dynamic environment.

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    its like the wolves and bears in Montana and cattle farmers they can not co exist peacefully one has to go or the other will never prosper. Africa will be the same way there is way to much wildlife for anyone to farm effectively one of the populations needs to be thinned the people or the animals. id prefer less wildlife if it meant feeding a family. even though i hate people[​IMG]

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

From what they are telling me about most of Tanzania, you have to drive for hours to get to places that are like our out Yellow Stone to find wildlife. Otherwise people are everywhere. They do not even tolerate little critters like raccoons. These guys are coming to pickup some roosters in next hour. They insist on free-range birds they kill and dress themselves. They also like the old cocks and hens, I think for the extra fat. I will pick their brains about what they do have running around.

4. Mike Winters

Nov 13, 2011
    porbably alot are rats and mice if they shoot all the hawks and jackals those animals must put a dent into something kind of pest, even if it they do take a chicken once in a while probably going to end of like how the east coast of US used to be in the 1860's no animals even good animals like deer and turkey, squrriel where super rare

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Picture I am getting about the Tanzinain guys home area is they hunt the hawks also and possibly even rats. I also get the picture they do not really give smaller wildlife much consideration and thus may simply be ignoring it. I agree, if all medium and small sized predators were removed, then rodents would be a real problem.

I am goin to do a little search and see if something like barn owls or close kin are super abundant as they would be an indication of dense roedent populations.

6. Mike Winters

Nov 13, 2011
    i don't know if its Africa but wikipedia says in the canary islands barn owls are shot on sight by farmers that think they are demons because they are as quiet as a ghost in flight look kinda odd and have a loud eerie screech

7. theemon

theemon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    ohio
    I have tropical fish from. There rift lakes, beautiful fish, but they catch them by the thousands and eat them...

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have had and bred several cichlids from that area. All to my understanding except the deepwater species are regarded as food. Most of those fisheries to my knowledge are sustainable.

Is that a German Pointer in your avatar. I use such for poultry guardians and increasingly for actual hunting.

9. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    So sad to hear about the demise of wildlife in Tanzania. Your story inspires me to work all the harder to help people tolerate wildlife here.

It is possible to raise cattle and coexist with bears and wolves:
    http://www.keystoneconservation.us/

10. Mike Winters

Nov 13, 2011
    it would be nice to have no predators around but livestock. must animals in Africa are just to aggressive to be domesticated. in US the deer population is to high because their only predator is the automobile. if they where wiped out no people would have died from hitting them. Australia is nice other then the dingoes and foxes that people brought there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by