Extreme prolapsed vent, disembowelment

jodievaughan

Songster
5 Years
Dec 29, 2016
*I'm sorry in advance, this is graphic*

Title says it all. Earlier one of my hens had a slightly prolapsed vent which I thought I had solved for her - I come out a few hours later and I find her guts are hanging out of her back end. I don't know if it's only the ceca or the intestines as well, but long stringy organs are hanging out at about the length of my forearm, I think I even the liver or kidney is out. I'm shocked by the whole scene but she is still very much alive and alert, she is not bleeding out. I'm guessing there is no solution to this? I know I won't have the physical strength to euthanise her myself, there is nobody around to help me and I won't be able to get a vet until the morning now. Obviously I have her completely separated from the other animals right now. A really unfortunate situation in which I'm not sure what to do. If by some chance anyone can think of anything I could do about this I would greatly appreciate it!

Can you post pictures? Or a record a video and post to YouTube? Do you have her isolated inside?

It could be a burst blood vessel that makes it look worse than it really is.

Can you post pictures? Or a record a video and post to YouTube? Do you have her isolated inside?

It could be a burst blood vessel that makes it look worse than it really is.
I can go take a picture for you now but I am 99% sure it's as bad as it looks. I do have her isolated inside.

She's behaving normally in spite of her predicament because the viscera haven't dried out yet and stopped functioning. It's only a matter of time that she will succumb to this. It may be possible to surgically replace all her innards, but now that they have been outside her body, bacteria has colonized the tissues, and they are starting to dry out. By the time you locate a vet who has the skills and willingness to attempt surgery, it will probably be too late.

If there is more protruding than just a couple inches of cloaca, she's likely a goner.

******** VERY GRAPHIC *******

Here are photos @SmiYa0126

I'm sorry in advance for how graphic it is

IMG_20220823_221820542.jpg
IMG_20220823_221617108.jpg

Back
Top Bottom