Extreme Sneeze/Something Stuck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pistol038, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Pistol038

Pistol038 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    NW Montana
    Hello!!

We've got a plymouth white rock hen that's just about to start laying. As of last week she has come out of the coop (to free range) making this awful noise! And I mean awful! She sticks her neck way out with a slight twist her head & her beak is open with her tongue moving back & forth. Even shakes her head a bit once the spell passes. And today after she came out of the coop this spell was so hard that it was like a massive shiver overtook her, she sort of jumped in the air & landed off kilter - almost a flop. But once the spell passes I can't really tell the difference between her and the other girls (there's 14 of 'em). I almost thought we'd have to put her down after watching that awful leap/flop she did, all the while doing that long awful noise...which is hard to describe. It's like she's being flogged or stomped on but the poor thing just looks like she's got something stuck somewhere in her neck. And this evening we did notice she's moving slower but her tail is up.

A sister of hers has a large bulge that has formed on the side of her head between her ear and eye. I think she may be moving slower tonight also. We tried to pop it but nothing will come out...? It's about gumball in size. :(

Another sister (we're really having chicken issues right now!) has an awful wound on the back of her head, not only were feathers pulled out but it's good & bloody in a spot to the right of the back of her head & it's jelly-like beneath the skin. My question is, how abusive are roosters? Our rooster is really starting to man up & pounce on the girls. Will he bloody them up like that or maybe something grabbed her through the fence...?

Thank you for any help! :) :)

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm no expert, but maybe the cause of your pullets behaviour is neurological?

But yes, overly aggressive (and clueless) roos can cause the kind of trauma you describe, but not necessarily. Firstly, I'd suggest cleaning the wound with saline solution and then applying some kind of antiseptic - iodine or some such and keeping her separate from the rest of the flock until the wound heals. Chickens can get crazed at the sight of blood and peck your injured girl mercilessly. Secondly, you may wish to separate your overly amorous fellow from the rest of the flock for a while. When they are young, their hormones go crazy - its not until they get a little older that they calm down a little and behave in a more "gentlemanly" manner. If you do separate him and notice similar trauma to your girls, then you will be able to discount him as being the cause.

CT

2 people like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

You have several things going on here.

Can you post a video of the "sneezy, floppy" chicken - would like to see and hear that one.
    Some good clear photos of the large bulge on the second chicken.
    And some good clear photos of the wound on the third chicken.

@CTKen has given you some good advice on the rooster/wounded hen problem.

Without seeing the others, there is no way to make any suggestions.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pistol038

Pistol038 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    NW Montana
    Hello CT & Wyorp!

Thank you for the replies! I agree, removing Mr. Rooster from the coop is a good idea. We're going to try that (getting him out alone will be a trick, we just got our first white rock egg yesterday so the girls need to stay in!). This morning I let them all free since I'll be home. Yesterday I had been away for roughly 6 hours & came home to all of this, LOL! (with the exception of the weird sneezy girl, that's been going on for almost a week)

Very good idea on the video! It took me a bit but I got all three girls with issues in one clip, it is currently loading right now. :) :)

On a side note, this hasn't been a very good year for chicks for a friend & I this year. Her whole coop contracted Merek's Disease & I think they've all passed (22 of them!) :(. I got Mr. Rooster from her before they started dying or even showing symptoms but am worried that he could have possibly brought the disease with him...? Before we acquired the rooster we had a white rock baby that developed a huge bulge in the front of her body & seemed hungry all the time. Turns out she wasn't digesting a thing, it was piling up in the front of her (in her crop?). The vet pulled out grass & other matter so we had to put her down.

I don't want to lose my whole flock too! I've added fresh garlic cloves to all of their water containers.

Thanks again! I will be posting the video shortly.

:) :)

5. Pistol038

Pistol038 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    NW Montana
    Here we go! Thanks for taking a look, sorry about my voice in the video - we gab with our girls a lot. Thanks for any advice! :)[​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The sneezing hen, could be stridor - does she only do this during/after she eats? This would be an indication that she may be eating too fast or inhales some feed particles.

The one with the lump - it's hard to tell exactly where it is, but if it's the ear, then she may have a ear infection. Look at it closely and make sure she has no lice/mites or even a tick in the ear canal.
    If there is mites- then treat for those. If there is any sign of infection, then you can apply some peroxide and try to work the infection out.

Your rooster pecked hen - looks like you may have applied some pick-no-more? Apply your ointment/pick-no-more/blue kote and watch for any signs of infection - pus, oozing, odors. Watch to make sure the other hens aren't bothering it and that flies are not getting to it.

It's always possible your sneezing girl could have a respiratory illness, look for any signs of runny nose, swelling eyes/face.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919235/ear-infection-in-rooster

1 person likes this.
  7. Pistol038

Pistol038 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    NW Montana
    Thank you Wyorp!! Sounds like I should take some immune-boosting precautions for my birds. I think I'll spread some more diatomaceous in the boxes in case there might be mites & add some ACV to their waters. The sneezing hen actually seems to have her spells more with moving versus eating. I went out to find her & took her to the coop for food & water...She was really thirsty but only took 2 bites of food. It was when she started heading out of the coop that she had more of those outbursts. She's not very perky.

And I will definitely keep ointment on the injured girl! Thanks for all of the tips! :) :)

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Check her crop to make sure it is functioning properly. Feel when she goes to roost (p.m.) then first thing in the a.m. before eating/drinking. The crop should be empty. It's possible she could have a bit of slow/partial impacted crop going on. But if it's working good, then you can rule that out for the time being.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by