Extreme Temperatures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country Guy John, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I live in South Carolina and our temperatures have been in the mid to high 90's with the heat index in the low 100's. I would like for you to share if you have lost any birds due to the extreme temperatues. My birds are panting with their mouths open and I have lost 4 of my barred rocks over the last week, inspite of giving them fresh water 2 times per day. Please share your experience.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I live in La. Our temp was 98 with the heat index of around 110 today. I used to only let them free range when I was home and could watch out for them. With this heat I get my MIL (when we're on days) to let them out in the am. I came to the conclusion that I would rather loose one to a possible predator than they start dying off from heat strokes!

It's kind of funny cause I told my husband yesterday "Look outside, you never would think we have 47 chickens running around out here" Every last one was under the shed where it's nice and cool!

Just my opinion. I know alot talk about frozen water bottles, ice in waterer, etc. But we work 12 hour shifts and stuff like that's just impossible!!

Good luck!

Missi

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I've lost a few teenagers to piling at night and they overheated. I don't know why they do this, it is very hot but they still pile up sometimes. I keep the fan on but wish I had an airconditioner for them.

4. FunChick

FunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Piedmont, Oklahoma
    I find that they do best if there is a lot of shady areas...I have had to make "shade frames" where I stretch a tarp onto a 2x4 frame made to the size of the tarp. They aren't the most attractive but they are useful! Use what you have and use your imagination! Old sheets or blankets can be used in a pinch also--visit garage sales and thrift stores for good deals there.

Don't forget electrolytes!

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I agree with Missi. After the Spring egg rush is over, we turn ours out for the Summer. They do much better.

6. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    We live in AZ where it's been 110 to 114 every day! We have misters about 3 feet above the ground running the full length of the coop. Then we have a fan up in the corner blowing downward towards the ground. Not to mention we have 3 pools! Two of those kind you get at walmart for like ten bucks, and one that runs about 15 bucks with the collapsing sides. Now the misters we bought at walmart for 10 dollars each. They have the expandable ones for 20 bucks. Our turkeys actually get into the pools and sit!

7. Chicken Chaperone

Chicken Chaperone Chillin' With My Peeps

Re: misting your chickens-
    It is an awesome idea, however- before you go out and pay good money
    make sure your chickens like being misted. I was on my way out the door to buy one for our coop
    and I thought- "Ya know, I better see if Henrietta even likes this idea". I set our hose attachment setting on 'mist'
    and aimed it at the chicken.... the look she gave me! Oh, the humanity! You would have thought I'd pulled
    down her bloomers in the middle of the town square! The scorn, the anger, the embarrassment (mine) and the look
    of complete disbelief that I could have betrayed her in such a way withered me to the ground. I'm still trying to win
    back her trust with meal worms and it's been a month of treats and repentance. How long can a chicken hold a grudge for anyway??

In our case- no misters, lots of shade and I keep a hose on low drip that goes into a drinking container for her that has a little drain at the bottom
    that drains out to the yard so she always has a very fresh supply of nice cold, from under the ground, water. No, my DH hasn't yet
    seen the water bill for this month and I hope none of you will rat me out. [​IMG] We free range, with supervision, in the early morning
    and early evening hours when it's a bit cooler and she has more pep and feels more like eating and having dust baths. There
    are few things funnier than watching a chicken chase fireflies! I'm sure they look like glowing fast food on the wing to her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by