Extremely COLD !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SparkleTia, Jan 7, 2014.

1. SparkleTia

SparkleTia Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    It is extremely cold where I live and I was wondering what I can do to keep my chickens warm? I have locked them away in the coop closed all the air vents and windows but I dont know if that is enough! Any ideas????

2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    As long as there are no drafts, they should do ok. Adding heat from a heat lamp or other source could help, however the drastic shift from a heated coop to an outside run can develop respiratory problems (very similar to those humans can get when they experience temp changes), so heating at this point could be a risk. I have boarded my chickens completely at night, applied vaseline to combs for sub-zero temps, and added extra bedding to the floor for added warmth. Outside of this, there is little an owner can do that won't be harmful to the birds.

*Note - there is a little bit of controversy over vaseline. Some people say it doesn't work well. I have experienced very good luck using it. A substitute for vaseline is bag balm ( more traditional). It can also protect from frostbite when applied to combs and waddles.

3. SparkleTia

SparkleTia Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    @cstronks Ok how often do you apply Vaseline or the bag balm to their combs and waddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by