1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Extremely Heavy Molt? Or mites?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NewbieFarm, Dec 1, 2013.

1. NewbieFarm

NewbieFarm In the Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    This is one of my hens, she looks sooo ragged. But she acts healthy as a horse. This looks to extreme to be just a molt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Well if she has mites, you'll see mites.

3. NewbieFarm

Nov 30, 2013
    I've looked, i couldn't see any. I'll try looking at night with a flashlight.

4. It looks kinda like she's been over-mated. Do you have rooster(s)?

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Do you have a rooster? Looks like a heavy moult or overmating to me, but more like a heavy moult. Keep an eye on her for a week or so and see if any pin feathers grow in on the bare areas. If so, moult. If not, she's either being pecked or over-mated.

If you're worried about mites, dust her, the coop and the nest boxes with Sevin dust. That will clear them right up. Sevin is actually labeled as a poultry dust for control of external parasites (although they don't often put that information on the consumer canister).

Here's one of mine from this year:

[​IMG]

All of that area on her breast and legs where you see the gray pin feathers coming in was as bare as a supermarket roasted chicken for two weeks before the pin feathers started coming in.

6. NewbieFarm

Nov 30, 2013
    @roostersandhens I have one rooster and 34 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by