Extremely hot here today......????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ponygal12, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hi everyone!

Ughhhhh. It. Is. So. Hot. Right now, it's 97 and I'm a little worried about the chicks. They are about 4-5 weeks old and almost fully fearthered. *almost* They are in the garage still since our coop is a work in progress. All the windows and doors are open, but it's still HOT! I put ice in their water and they have a fan blowing on them. Anything else I can do to make them more comfortable?

Thanks!

Emily

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Sounds like you got it covered! [​IMG] It was 110 here today, and my chickens just have some shade and cool water. [​IMG]

3. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    should be ok. Keep that water fresh and readily available. I would check it throughout the day just to make sure they didn't clog it up somehow.

4. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    my older girls are in the yard under some bushes and my 8 wk olds are in the run...i just keep spraying down the ground they are laying in and giving everyone ice bottles and cube in their water...i even put up an umbrella and sheet on the run for the babies to have shade....hope this helps...keep doing what you are doing.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sounds like you're doing all you can. If they still seem really hot, you could mist them a bit........but the fan and cold water should be good, along with the shade.

6. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Wicked hot in Rhode Island..98 plus the humidity! I just dipped the crew in the toddler pool. They were NOT happy with me! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] But I feel better now...no more panting! [​IMG] They kept avoiding the mist setting on the hose so I had to take matters into my own hands...and they made sure to share the misery! [​IMG]

7. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Ice water and frozen fruit for our girls today. Wicked hot in the northeast! [​IMG]

8. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Ha! I dunked my chicks in a bucket of water as well! It really works. Otherwise I throw big square icepacks in a couple times a day and they sit on them.

9. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    103 here in Philli, and I gave fresh water often, dunked a few, and watered the dirt they hang out in.
    They are hot, but they are doing good!

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Same here in Mass.. its 100 out right now..
    Thank god my pens are under trees , and so very shaded.
    But even so.. i can tell my animals are suffering. I have chickens/ducks/geese/pigs
    I gave them all frozen watermelon and frozen bird treats. And i turned on my sprinkler for them... The ducks and geese LOVE the sprinkler (they actually PLAY in it..[​IMG]..)... the pigs and chickens..not so much. [​IMG]
    But At least its cooling down the area.... i hope... poor things. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by