Extremely hot here today......????

ponygal12

Songster
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
New Hampshire
Hi everyone!

Ughhhhh. It. Is. So. Hot. Right now, it's 97 and I'm a little worried about the chicks. They are about 4-5 weeks old and almost fully fearthered. *almost* They are in the garage still since our coop is a work in progress. All the windows and doors are open, but it's still HOT! I put ice in their water and they have a fan blowing on them. Anything else I can do to make them more comfortable?

Thanks!

Emily

Sounds like you got it covered!
big_smile.png
It was 110 here today, and my chickens just have some shade and cool water.
big_smile.png

should be ok. Keep that water fresh and readily available. I would check it throughout the day just to make sure they didn't clog it up somehow.

my older girls are in the yard under some bushes and my 8 wk olds are in the run...i just keep spraying down the ground they are laying in and giving everyone ice bottles and cube in their water...i even put up an umbrella and sheet on the run for the babies to have shade....hope this helps...keep doing what you are doing.

Sounds like you're doing all you can. If they still seem really hot, you could mist them a bit........but the fan and cold water should be good, along with the shade.

Wicked hot in Rhode Island..98 plus the humidity! I just dipped the crew in the toddler pool. They were NOT happy with me!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
But I feel better now...no more panting!
love.gif
They kept avoiding the mist setting on the hose so I had to take matters into my own hands...and they made sure to share the misery!
tongue2.gif

Ha! I dunked my chicks in a bucket of water as well! It really works. Otherwise I throw big square icepacks in a couple times a day and they sit on them.

Same here in Mass.. its 100 out right now..
Thank god my pens are under trees , and so very shaded.
But even so.. i can tell my animals are suffering. I have chickens/ducks/geese/pigs
I gave them all frozen watermelon and frozen bird treats. And i turned on my sprinkler for them... The ducks and geese LOVE the sprinkler (they actually PLAY in it..
big_smile.png
..)... the pigs and chickens..not so much.
tongue.png

But At least its cooling down the area.... i hope... poor things.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom