Extremely Ill month old serama chick NEED HELP ASAP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenaddict, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Serama chick hatched out 6-04-10 so 1 month old

2) What is the behavior, exactly. She was a little slow yesterday but it's been very hot here so I thought it was just the heat. I put Vitamins and electrolytes in teir waterers during the heatwave to keep them hydrated.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Today would be the second day

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No signs of external injuries

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Another broody got ahold of her and gave her one heck of a thrashing

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She won't eat on her own so I made her a 3 minute egg and forced a few gulps in her beak, tiny drop of rescue remedy as well as water dribbled down her beak

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop has alot of (sp) Urates and very little fecal matter

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I brought her in and tucked her into a fleece blanket. Fed her some egg yolk and water with V& E in it as well as a tiny dab of rescue remedy

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? A vet is NOT an option so I would like to treat her here

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No pics hubby has the camera

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use Bedding is pine shavings in the coop and straw in the run. They free range as well during the day.

Her motor skills are lacking, when I try to stand her up she falls over to one side (leans to the left) She is breathing really heavy and nods off frequently. She can barely cheep and can no longer walk. She was able to walk earlier today so this is getting worse really quick. No foul odors, no respiratory distress, no gurgling like she is congested and no blood in her poop and no pasty rear. All the other chicks are doing super. Please Help!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    It sounds like you are doing all you can for now...but if another chicken had it out with her it could possibly be an internal injury [​IMG] I would just wait it out and if you can think of anything else to make her comfortable and more likely to recover then do it.

I hope the little thing gets better! [​IMG]

3. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thank you. Thats what I am thinking it is is internal damage from the thrashing incident. If that is the case there is nothing more I can do for her but comfort her until she passes. [​IMG]

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I would look up new castle disease. I believe they have similiar symptoms

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Wouldn't the others be displaying symptoms if it was new castles? I will definately look into it. I have given her a head injury holistic remedy as well. One drop in the eye every five minutes 3 times.

ETA I read about newcastles and I truely don't think the symptoms are the same, she is weak and can't hold herself up but she isn't paralyzed. She has NO congestion, no nasal discharge, nothing coming out of her eyes, no cough ect. I am really leaning towards a head injury here I think. None of the other chicks that were raised with her are acting sick at all.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:I know if she has a pinched nerve there are treatments for that, is that possible? And your right i would rule out newcastles too then.

7. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It could be a possibility. If there is something to try that won't hurt her for the pinched nerve I am all for it. The holistic treatment isn't really working. I am afraid she doesn't have much longer the way she is going down hill so fast [​IMG]

8. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    it sounds like maybe she ate something toxic or a bad bug. Did she have her momma hen to watch her while she free ranged so that she wouldn't eat a toxic bug? I hope she makes it. [​IMG]

9. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Yes her mother was taking care of her and 5 others. No toxic plants or bugs around to eat. No mold in the area or anything I can think that would have made just her ill and not the others too. I did give them strawberries the other day tho but I don't believe they are toxic. Other then that I don't know what it could have been if indeed it was something she got into rather then an internal unjury.

10. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Well the little one spent the night in the house wrapped in a fleece blanket on top of a hot water bottle. SHe ate some chick starter this morning mixed with warm water and drinks water only when I dip her beak in it. I was amazed she was still alive this morning! She is a real fighter. I also gave her another round of rescue remedy as well as another head injury remedy [​IMG] Hope she makes it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by