Extremely off balance rooster

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Mottled bantam cochin, about 8 months old, around 2 lbs. He doesn't appear to have lost any weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. When he walks he appears to be intoxicated. Very off balance and uncoordinated. When he crows he tips over on his back and struggles to get back up
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? This is the second day I notice he is worse today than he was yesterday, other than the balance issues he is not acting sick at all,
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? None

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma Absolutely no trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. He has always been "not so graceful" since he was 2 weeks old I haven't a clue what caused this but I am leaning towards botulism at this point. But then again I think more of my birds would be displaying the same symptoms.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Gamebird/layer/scratch grain mix
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I took him in the house because the other roosters were trying to do him a favor by picking him off.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? He is a rooster so no vet visit or heroic measures, I just want to know what I am dealing with here. He will be culled this evening, for now he is in a kennel in the basement
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use A mixture of pine shavings, straw, and DE. We use the DLM over winter and I haven't gotten to the spring coop cleaning yet. Birds are also treated every 3 months with ivermectin pour on and valbazen (not at the same time) so no mites/lice/internal critters.

Seems like either a toxin of some sort or a brain injury..... So sorry. There is a molasses flush you can try... Do a search on it. Brain injury is rest, vitamin E and vitamins in water.... Dexamethosone for reduced swelling if available . Also incepalitis from Mosquitos may be possible as it affects the brain.

Last edited:
He was culled the next day :( I did try the molasses flush but it did nothing for him. By the next day he could no longer walk. Mosquitos are out really early this year and the birds forage in the compost so I truely think it was a toxin of some sort. Aww well, ya win some ya loose some I guess. Thank you for your reply tho chickenzoo, I didn't realize anyone replied, soooo used to posting a thread and being lost in the shuffle. He is running free in chicken heaven with no pain now. :)

Back
Top Bottom