Extremely Skinny Rooster with Pale Comb

gillymae

Hatching
Jul 13, 2016
California
My serama rooster has recently become super skinny (his breast bone is EXTREMELY prominent) although he has been eating the same amount as always. In addition, his comb and face was very pale although it has improved. He doesnt appear to be lethargic, though he has some more trouble flying than usual. (He likes to perch on the top of a box, but now he cant fly to the top). Does anyone have experience with this/know whats going on? He was my first rooster and I'll be heartbroken if he passes away. (That being said he is approaching the end of his natural lifespan, could it just be a sign hes getting old and is near passing?) Thank you for any help!!!

Last edited:
My serama rooster has recently become super skinny (his breast bone is EXTREMELY prominent) although he has been eating the same amount as always. In addition, his comb and face was very pale although it has improved. He doesnt appear to be lethargic, though he has some more trouble flying than usual. (He likes to perch on the top of a box, but now he cant fly to the top). Does anyone have experience with this/know whats going on? He was my first rooster and I'll be heartbroken if he passes away. (That being said he is approaching the end of his natural lifespan, could it just be a sign hes getting old and is near passing?) Thank you for any help!!!

I'm sorry your having trouble.

How old is your rooster?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

Can you take a fecal sample to your vet for testing of worms and cocci?

Examine him closely and check for any signs of lice/mites.

Watch to see if he is drinking well - add some poultry vitamins to his water. Since he is losing weight - try adding protein to his diet egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. If you feed layer feed to him, switch to a higher protein feed like chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser formula - these usually have higher protein (18-20%) and less calcium.

If you have a vet that can see him that would be best. Let us know how he is doing.

I recieved him when he was roughly 5 and ive had him for 2 years.

He gets layer feed and scratch grains. I do have some medicated chick starter so I'll begin mixing that into his feed. Snack wise he gets dried mealworms and the occassional fruit/veggie, along with any bugs he digs up in the grass.

I would take him to the vet, but there are none in our area that will see chickens.

I considered coccidosis, but his appetite is as great as ever--if anything ive seen him eating more. Could he still have it despite that? And if so, would treating him with the Corid I have be the best option?

Thank you for very very much for answering! :D

I recieved him when he was roughly 5 and ive had him for 2 years.

He gets layer feed and scratch grains. I do have some medicated chick starter so I'll begin mixing that into his feed. Snack wise he gets dried mealworms and the occassional fruit/veggie, along with any bugs he digs up in the grass.

I would take him to the vet, but there are none in our area that will see chickens.

I considered coccidosis, but his appetite is as great as ever--if anything ive seen him eating more. Could he still have it despite that? And if so, would treating him with the Corid I have be the best option?

Thank you for very very much for answering!
big_smile.png
How is his poop?

It's possible he could have Cocci or worms.

Treating him with Corid won't necessarily hurt - even if Cocci is not the culprit. You may consider worming him if you haven't done so.

His age could be a factor as well, unfortunately.

Let us know how he is doing.

Back
Top Bottom