Extremely slow feathering in? Looses feathers slowly/Grows in slowly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ponyfeather, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Ponyfeather

Ponyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    Any still had a chicken still getting their adult feathers after 5 months old? I'm a bit worried about Pancake my Buff Orp she is still in her final feathering in at just shy of 6 months and it seems to be taking her it toll on her. I am still feeding her organic chick feed because I feel she needs the extra protein. She seems to go threw this cycle of she'll a gain a little weight then just take it all off as she starts loosing more feathers. Is this typical in buff orps? She gets a few live meal worms almost everyday, should I add sunflower seeds? I've never seen a chicken loose feathers so slowly before? The new feathers all seem bright and shinny but she seems to loose so much weight in her slow feather spits?

She is my first personal chicken so I worry about her. She seems happy eats/drink/scratch/peak/poop normally but uncomfortable, I know growing feathers can be hard on them but I almost wish she was half naked and had a tiny amount of meat on her bones. This feathering loosing and growing in seems to be taking so much longer then when she lost her baby down. Or am a just noticing it more because she was so much more fluffy and I am noticing the feather loose more this time around? Like I said before I have never seen a hen feather like this.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    From your description it sounds to me that your hen is going through molting. This is normal for them. Some hens can molt twice a year! I wouldn't worry as long as she isn't showing other signs of disease/illness.

I would give her some hard-boiled egg, shell and all, finely crushed up...she will LUV that. When re-feathering they need extra protein to help in growing new feathers out. What are you feeding her for her feed? Do you offer oyster shell on the side?

3. Ponyfeather

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    She doesn't like hard boiled egg, I offered it once and she peaked a bit of it dropped it ignored it. Also looked at me indignant when I tired to offer it to her again. She hasn't even started laying and she is molting? I never started offering oyster shell because she never ever laid an egg before! I didn't think she needed it.

She is getting organic chick feed, since I can't find grower. I didn't want to get layer feed and possibly damage he kidneys. As she is a pet and I just want her to be healthy.
    Maybe I am fretting over her feathering to much because I have been stressed the fast few weeks. I'm new to being a bird mommy.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Boy, that is unusual she doesn't like hard-boiled egg...my girls go bananas over it.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Best to go with a moult supplement:
    http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/avomeds/2540-avio-moult-powder-400-gr
    Amino acids and chelated minerals for absorption may not be sufficient in your feed ration, many birds can go off feed during moult, so what little they eat should be supplemented. It is best to ensure water is supplemented with a good probiotic a few times a week also. Probios dispersible powder is a good quality supplement.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. Ponyfeather

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    Thank you, this is really helpful. I'm still learning the ins and outs of what chickens need. I also like learning about nutrition.
    She is an unusual little chicky she'd rather have canned pumpkin off a spoon. Our kitty scared of her because she has a giant beak he keeps his distance and hides. I had to rescue him just a half hour ago because she had him pinned down. She plays with our dogs soft toys too, kicks them around/stands on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by