1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Extremely Small Egg?? & 1/2 Polish Banty 1/2 Orp is broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gersbud, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Went out to the coop this morning to collect eggs. I have about 25 hens and 2 roos. They are all in the same coop as they all grew up together and have no problems. But when I collected eggs this morning 1st I had to find them ?? [​IMG] they have nesting boxes but they layed them all under a small table I keep in there why I don't know. 2nd I found [​IMG] an egg that is just a little bit bigger than a robins egg What the heck is going on? [​IMG] I know I have one Polish Banty and she even lays bigger eggs. Then my baby from last year, the last baby from my late roo Toad, is broody and it is like 30 degrees outside. I think she may be confused just a little and they are not even her eggs she is sitting on. Hers are light brown and she is sitting on Maran eggs. Can anyone tell me what is up? [​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    RELAX....all the things you describe sound like normal chicken behaviour.

Tiny egg...Sounds like a 'fairy' or 'fart' egg.....often the first egg that is laid by a pullet who is coming into lay or a hen who has been off lay for a while.

It will contain albumen only (no yolk).

Broody hens do not score in the intelligence stakes. They will sit on anything....their own eggs, the flock's eggs, stones, turkey eggs, fresh air even. A hormone change is the cause of broodiness and not logic. You will need to break the broodiness by e'g placing her in a dog crate for a few days so that cold air can get underneath her (don't leave her outside, though, too cold out there right now). Give her food and drink as normal, but no bedding and no companions.

None of my hens lay where I would like them to....they lay just about anywhere, but rarely the nesting boxes.

3. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    I agree on the small egg thing - it's normal, just an "oops" egg that can happen sometimes. And so far as the broody thing, it seems normal for hens to just sit on whatever they feel like.

"If momma wants to hatch it, momma's gonna get it hatched, and you just keep your big fingers to yourself, human!" (Or at least, that was the attitude I'd gotten before [​IMG] )

4. Gersbud

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Quote:Thank you pgpoultry for your insight.
    I do know that broodies with sit on anything and they really the most intelligent. She has just always been such an odd girl. I take her out of her nesting box everyday and take her outside. I have even locked them all outside but she has always managed to get back inside. But I will pet the dog crate out and put her in. I will have to get out the big heavy leather gloves out though, she is a real meany right now. She has drawn my blood several times in the past few days which is my bad, I know better. lol But thanks

5. Gersbud

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Quote:Thanks RedIII, yes she has told [​IMG] me to keep my finger out. She has drawn blood several times in the past few days (Little Meany), but then its my bad I know she will get me right now and still I try to get the eggs and her out of the box. [​IMG] Stupid me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by