EXTREMELY small egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksmith, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I walked into the coop and found this egg laying on the floor next to the hanging feeder. It is so small! I have 4, four month old pullets. Could this egg be from them? It looks justt like a chicken egg as far as texture (Has extra calcium bumps) and color.

[​IMG]

2. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    I believe you have just received a "CHICKEN FART"!! [​IMG]

3. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    It's only a fart if it has no yolk, right?

4. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Yep, I think so...haven't had one myself, but I read about it alot here.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh yeah - I saw your cutie patootie egg on someone else's post [​IMG] Nobody ever mentions whether they crack them and find a yolk or not - let us know...

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Some yes and some no on the yoke, the one in my photo had one...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    At first I wasn't going to crack it, but really... What can I do with an egg sitting around? Lol, yes I will crack it and let you know [​IMG]

8. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I cracked the egg open and it only had whites.

9. Boudicea Farms

Boudicea Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    I had the same thing with a couple of Rhodie's they laid a little yolkless egg every other day for a couple of weeks. At first I thought quail were somehow getting into the coop. They laid large eggs on the days I didn't get a small one. I did switch their feed a week before this started I went to Layena instead of the feed store brand, had some problems with moldy feed. The feed store guy said it wouldn't hurt the birds, I wasn't taking chances so started buying feed at another place and its all that they carry for laying mash. So far its working out great, the girls took some time to adjust, Have you switch feed lately? Could be the answer.

10. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Well, I have RIR, SLW, and BO that are actually only 3 1/2 months old, and I am not sure which one of then laid it. I have not switched their feed at all. I switched to flock feed when they were about 2 months old so they could be mixed with the adults. I am thinking if at about 4 months old I could switch them all back to layer feed??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by