extremly long toenails!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angeljim95, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Angeljim95

Angeljim95 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    Denver
    I need help, the trio of silkies I bought today have extremly long nails, any links or info on how to clip them would be greatly thanked!!! [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Just like a dog or cats...Dont cut to far as you will cut the quick ( vein) in the nail. Use a bright light to work with so you can see the quick more clearly through the nail ( if they are white nails). Black nails...flip it's foot so you can underneath the toe nails before cutting... I use baby clippers...

3. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    How do you trim their beaks?

4. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    i agree with sonew. i'm a groomer so its easy for me. if you do accidently quick them and you dont have any quick stop, use flower

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Same thing Ga...I do it all the time..Hold the bird in one arm and slowly put clippers under long beak-CLIP! bye bye over growth:) Once in a while I recruite DH to hold bird so I can hold beak and clip-easy peasy:)

6. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Same thing Ga...I do it all the time..Hold the bird in one arm and slowly put clippers under long beak-CLIP! bye bye over growth:) Once in a while I recruite DH to hold bird so I can hold beak and clip-easy peasy:)

Thank you. I figured it would be the same way. I tried finding a silkie spa, but the town I live near must be too small. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by