Eye Ailment with my only Rooster -opinions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shellyga, Nov 26, 2010.

1. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    [​IMG]

any ideas - at times it appears to have a small slit open but mainly shut as shown. He isn't acting sick or anything.. just operating with one eye

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:The eye looks like it my be swollen some....couldve got scratched or pecked. I recommend you use terramycin eye ointment. Your feed store might carry it. jeffers livestock.com has it...It's about $11 for a small tube.

3. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    If he's not acting sick, it's probably not this, but if he had some yellow nasal discharge and a cough I say that looks exactly like one of the Mycoplasmas: Gallisepticum (MG) or maybe Synoviae. I can't remember which gets the eyes like that. If terramycin doesn't work, you might need to use some Tylan, which is really good for myco. Sometimes they don't act real sick, but lets hope he gets better soon!

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Quote:Do you mean the Tylan you inject, or the Tylan you mix with water?

5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    where can I get Tylan? trying to get some terramycin but my vet wouldn't approve since I tried through Pet meds and my vet doesn't treat chickens.. none do around here.. will try Jeffers..

Thanks for the replies.. he is too sweet and already a part of the family in the short 7 months we have had him.

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by