Eye and Comb problems in Roosters! Please help (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debbienmousey, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi guys. I'm really getting worried about two of my roosters.

Firstly, I think it was Novemeber 24th, one of my younger(A little over a year old) rooster's comb and face had turned almost completely black. And his left eye was pretty much covered over with something. He couldn't see out of it. I think he was like this for only a day or two before I was able to catch him and get a better look at it. I left him alone because I wasn't sure what to do, I thought the black on his face was probably frostbite. Two days later and he looked fully recovered, except for a little discoloration left on his comb. His eye was open and clear, and he could see now. He's doing fine.

Now, late last week(Thursday) I noticed one of my hens had something on/near her eye. Picked her up and saw her eye was really watery, and had what looked like a scab below it. Brought her inside and got about 3 or 4 eye drops in it. She was free ranging fine, even though I don't think she could see very well out of that eye. It cleared up in about 2-3 days also.

Yesterday I saw that two of my other roosters now also have eye problems. The Araucana is about a year and a half old. His right eye is completely sealed shut. I can tell it's been draining, or oozing, and it really bothers him. I couldn't catch him today as he's not the friendliest..I was thinking about catching him tonight and trying a warm compress to open up the eye and then some eyedrops? Besides that I'd say he's fine, except that he's not actively free ranging anymore, all he does is sit outside on a dirt hill near the chicken coop. The other guy is actually only a cockerel, hatched earlier this year. His name is Alfred and he's probably 5-6 months old. His right eye is oozing, but not completely shut, he can see a little out of it. It looks like it had bled a little because he has what looks like some blood on his neck feathers (It's on the outside of the feathers so I know it's not an injury to his neck) I caught him and gave him about 4 eyedrops. Unlike the other rooster, he is still going out and free ranging quite well. If his eye didn't look so bad I'd say he's normal.

Another thing, it looks like the Araucana has gotten just a little bit of frostbite on his comb, but nothing major. Alfred on the other hand has a few little bumps or scabs on his wattles. Another rooster, Mr Red, also has these bumps except they're much darker in color, almost look like small holes, and are mainly on his comb. I've posted some pictures too as this stuff is pretty hard to describe :\\..

[​IMG]
    Araucana Rooster

[​IMG]
    Araucana Rooster again

[​IMG]
    Alfred, cockerel

[​IMG]
    Alfred, again

[​IMG]
    Mr Red's comb

[​IMG]
    Mr Red

I really hope you guys can help..I've searched and searched and haven't found anything that sounds like what is going on with my Roo's. Thank you so much for your help ahead of time! [​IMG]..(Oh, and sorry about the book, lol.)

2. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Not an expert. But I think they are fighting.. Those look like peck wounds... If they are all in the same area and all your hens look good. They are fighting..

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Fowl pox. Its a virus, as long as it remains external its ugly but rarely fatal.. If it goes inside, it causes lesions in the respiratory tract and is frequently fatal. It sounds like yours have the external type. Since this has been around since november 24, its probably too late to do much. The scabs that fall off carry the virus and can infect the other birds for a long time. Usually it is carried by mosquitoes, but can also occur in cold weather. There are several good threads on it here, and a number of good articles that can be googled.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Ditto the above post > use the search engine on pox.
    you need to separate the ones with symptoms and give them their own water and feed supply.
    Dab the lesions with iodine and give polyvisol enfamil (no extra iron) as a source of vit A.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Our small flock has just gone through a bout of fowl pox, too. Fortunately, they all came through ok, even the roo that had wet pox. As others have suggested, isolate the affected birds if you can, offer supportive care, watch to make sure the birds are still eating and drinking, and watch out for secondary bacterial infections.

6. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Check you hens close also, if your roo's have it that bad your hens probably have it also.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I also would give some Oxytectracline (sp) in their water to help the eye. I have a Serama with it, I used it on him and he's doing much better.

8. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, I checked the birds this morning and they're about the same. Alfred's eye looks a little worse, actually [​IMG].

I've been looking up a lot about Fowl Pox (on here and search through google), but I do have more questions.

For the scabs, people say to apply Iodine with Q-tips? Do I need to dilute the Iodine for this?

If they develop wet pox, how do I remove the lesions from inside their mouths/throats? I've read you just remove them with a Q-tip and Listerine or diluted Iodine. And should I be checking them daily for these lesions?

And Oxytetracycline is the same as Terramycin, right? I looked on the McMurray website but they don't sell Terramycin in a liquid form.

And I was wondering, can guineas get Fowl Pox? We have 35+ chickens free-ranging with 14 guineas. Yes, all our free-ranging birds live together in the same coop/run. The run is spacious and also has two other sections fenced off, in one we have our meat roosters (Yes, we eat some of our birds) and the other is where we keep our young birds (Chicks and guinea keets) Can my infected free-rangers give Fowl Pox to the meat roosters and little ones even though they are separated by a chicken wire fence? If so, can I possibly put something in their water or feed to prevent them from getting it? The young ones don't have any signs of Fowl Pox yet and I'm pretty sure the meat roosters don't either. Another question, is it safe to eat the meat roosters even if they do have Fowl Pox?

I looked over some of the hens this morning also, and it does seem that some of them are starting to get Fowl Pox. I noticed two hens that have watery eyes, one just starting to get some(I can tell because they get little bubbles near the corner of their eyes, I've noticed), and a few others have scabs on their combs/wattles. I don't really have anywhere to move the infected birds to, especially if a lot of them come down with it..Once I apply Iodine to the scabs they will fall off, right? Will they come back?

This is our first disease while having the birds (We've had them for about 3 and a half years now). I'm mainly concerned about their eyes. They can't go free-ranging if they're eyes are all crusted up. Should we keep them locked in their run until this clears up? I think I will try the warm compress on the Araucana's eye and on Alfred's tonight. Is there anything I can apply directly to the eye to loosen up the crusty stuff and help open up the eye?

Edited to add: Also I've read that hens slow down or stop laying sometimes when they get the Pox? We have only been getting a few eggs since they started their molt (Mid October), and for the past few weeks we haven't gotten any eggs at all. (Probably stopped about mid November) Just wanted to add this..We thought our hens were just on strike since their molt, but it's possible that the Fowl Pox is also interrupting their laying?

Thanks so much for all your help [​IMG]..I know what it is now, and I can start helping them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hi, Fowl pox is spread by biting insects, mostly mosquitoes, but the scabs that fall off those affected are also a source. If you step on a scab, a chicken etc. steps on one and brings it in.... and some one else eats or pecks at it...well it just spread.

Terimycian(sp) eye oitment can be used on the affected eye, or you can take the powder form and mix it with some vasiline and make your own. Also neosporian (w/o pain killer in it) can be used in the eye.
    Oxytectracline(sp) is a different form and seems to work better IMO, I get it in a powdered form and add to water or mix some in a cup and give it by syringe if only a few.

With wet pox you will see the lesions, it often makes one side of their jaw stick out. I used some blunt tweezers to remove it and then keep medicating their water.

Their is a vaccine for it, but once your chickens have gone through it and gotten it, they won't get it again....

Anytime a chicken is under stress their laying would slow down/stop.... typically.

Speedy recovery.....

10. lovegertie

lovegertie New Egg

Oct 15, 2014
    I have 3 chickens, all a little over 6 months. Gertie,Millie, and Beatrice.

I have just discovered that Gertie and Millie have the pox, and Beatrice has very minute spots forming on her wattles. One of Millie's eyes started to close today,then later one closed entirely there is no ooze or wateriness noted. Her comb is poked and so is her wattles. It came on fast today. I bought some neosporin without pain killers in it to apply to her eye but have been unable to catch her yet today (as it gets dusk I will likely catch her and apply the neosprin to her eye area, iodine to her pokes (I have already done the other two), I also bought some Enfamil Poly ViSol for their water but noticed it comes with iron. Will the iron hurt them? Do I need to go buy another bottle I already opened this one? Any other suggestions to help them with their health? I did not separate them since it seemed Beatrice has some small area that is showing she has it to. Thanks id lvd gertie.

(Gertie and Beatrice have started to lay eggs, Millie has not yet. Her comb is a little shorter still). all born same day April 6, 2014. Gertie and Bea laid their first egg on Oct 6, 2014. Today is Oct 15, 2014.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by